GPU fan makes a loud clicking vibrating noise on my Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)

Uche
Uche Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2020 in Predator Laptops
Hello guys,
I just got the 2019 Predator Helios in January this year. I got it from Amazon (the main Amazon choice retailer). I've used it for some weeks now and then all of a sudden, 2 days ago, I start hearing a clicking sound from one of the fans. The laptop also vibrates like I have a hard drive in it but I don't have a mechanical hard drive installed on it yet, just an M.2 SSD. The GPU fan makes this noise whenever I turn the laptop on and the only way to shield the noise a little is to increase the fan speed to something above 3600rpm. It feels like the fans are brushing against the top or bottom of the covering.
I've only opened up the laptop to add an additional M.2 SSD and to have a look at the fan to see if anything got stuck, that's all.
Its been barely 2 months and I stay in Nigeria. Please how can this be fixed?
Does my warranty extend to Nigeria? If not, can I buy a new AeroBlade fan (not plastic) to replace it, and how do I go about that?
My model is the Predator Helios 300
Product Name: PH315-52
Serial Number: NHQ5MAA001XXXXXX
SNID: XXXXXX

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• Luchodefi
    Luchodefi Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi @Uche! Have you solved the problem? I am having the same issue and I can’t find a solution, thanks!
  • Foga
    Foga Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Just started having the same issue. shipped mine to Nigeria too
  • Foga
    Foga Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Just started having the same issue. shipped mine to Nigeria too
  • youssefshawky
    youssefshawky Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    MakeOutHill thanks so much i made an account to just say thanks and it works perfectly, there's no fan noise after i cleaned andi a drop of machine oil on the fan 
  • OLIO
    OLIO Member Posts: 6 New User
    hi i have the same problem but my gpu fan has stopped working fully. i dont know why? but i think i have warrenty
  • ArjunRanjan
    ArjunRanjan Member Posts: 3 New User
    I also had the same problem but I ignored it, now my GPU fan stopped spinning
    if anyone has this proble don't ignore it like me

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2020
    ArjunRanjan yes this issue shouldnt be ignored its a sign that might be broken blades or fan itself failing  best case scenario would be just a wire touching the blades but unfortunately this is not always the case the best if still on warranty its to contact acer support asap and send it back but if out or warranty open it asap too check the issue   :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Ovain
    Ovain Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I also had the same problem but I ignored it, now my GPU fan stopped spinning
    if anyone has this proble don't ignore it like me

dude what did u do about it??

• Emergent
    Emergent Member Posts: 4 New User
     i actually found a fix that worked for me without replacing anything, i think the fan come with no lubrication or something that make that bad rattling noise  first you need to remove the fan from its pin after you unscrew the cover  then pull the fan away from the pin its actually connected with just magnets  watch this video  for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbMYAB0qwM then lubricate the pen with oil or if you have something better i done it with a car engine oil and it works really great  i took a cotton ear swap and dipped it in the oil and lubricated the pen carefull not to get messy and touch also the hole between the magnets with the ear swap try to get the oil in but not much be sensitive and take your time  be carefull when removing the 3D fan because it actually hard to pull this one out not like the CPU one its very easy and try not to damage the fan try to use all your finger to pull it out now put all the things back and try if this fixes any thing and please let me know if it does. and yeah another thing if you look closely you will see (or in my case) a red paint or a red something that was on the fan if you saw somethig like that try to get a razor or a knife and scratch this paint as i think it was doing some uneven weight on the fan when it spin and again try to be carefully and dont damage the fan and i washed the fan with water and soap because its stainless steel I think 🤔 then alcohol ofcourse and let it dry before putting it back together. 
    This worked great.  I pulled the cover off, and then the cover over the GPU fan.  I was able to very carefully lift the fan by the blades to remove it.  Once I had it off I used canned air to blow the dust off of everything in the area and the blades.  Then I sprayed WD-40 into the pin area when it was away from the laptop and wiped off the excess.  

(updated - shortly after I posted this the noise came back.  I'm going to get some better lube from work and try again later.)
  • wiktor_k
    wiktor_k Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited May 2021
     i actually found a fix that worked for me without replacing anything, i think the fan come with no lubrication or something that make that bad rattling noise  first you need to remove the fan from its pin after you unscrew the cover  then pull the fan away from the pin its actually connected with just magnets  watch this video  for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbMYAB0qwM then lubricate the pen with oil or if you have something better i done it with a car engine oil and it works really great  i took a cotton ear swap and dipped it in the oil and lubricated the pen carefull not to get messy and touch also the hole between the magnets with the ear swap try to get the oil in but not much be sensitive and take your time  be carefull when removing the 3D fan because it actually hard to pull this one out not like the CPU one its very easy and try not to damage the fan try to use all your finger to pull it out now put all the things back and try if this fixes any thing and please let me know if it does. and yeah another thing if you look closely you will see (or in my case) a red paint or a red something that was on the fan if you saw somethig like that try to get a razor or a knife and scratch this paint as i think it was doing some uneven weight on the fan when it spin and again try to be carefully and dont damage the fan and i washed the fan with water and soap because its stainless steel I think 🤔 then alcohol ofcourse and let it dry before putting it back together. 
    Hello.
    I read your post and wanted to ask about something else related to this topic.
    I had a Nitro 5 for a while and at low RPM the fan was emitting a 1-2kHz tone coming from the PWM control.
    At high RPM the fan worked like a small jet engine :(
    Here's the sound at lowest RPM:
    I returned it to the store and now I'm thinking of buying a Predator Helios 300: PH315-53-74G2
    From the Acer support I received information that the cooling in the Helios 300 is different than in the Nitro 5 (question: is it better ot the same?)
    I wonder if if I buy it, I will be able to improve it myself?
    If the fan rotor can be removed so easily, maybe it will be good to put the some kind of epoxy resin at the windings and maybe this helps with their resonance and permanently block the "whistle"?
    Unfortunately, it may turn out that the entire rotor with the fan blades emits these annoying sounds - then nothing can be done :(

Is this the kind of noise you are experiencing on your laptop?

thanks, wk
  • MitsuTachi
    MitsuTachi Member Posts: 1 New User
    So, I bought a Predator Triton 300, 2 months ago and it has THE SAME PROBLEM.
    I have contacted warranty center and they will be fixing it shortly,
    What I want to know is that WHY is this happening ?? Seems like an issue with a lot of laptops.
  • turatark
    turatark Member Posts: 3 New User
    OLIO said:
    hi i have the same problem but my gpu fan has stopped working fully. i dont know why? but i think i have warrenty

I have noticed a weird seizing issue with the fans from time to time, that is very strange, It has happened to me twice now, both times after traveling, It feels like there is magnetic resistance going on preventing the fan from working correctly, even out of warenty you might be able to get a replacement part
  • ToteM97
    ToteM97 Member Posts: 2 New User
    This actually works! Thanks! My fan was making a clicking noise and the area near the fan was vibrating which gave the impression that its blades were colliding with/brushing against some other small component while rotating. I thought that getting rid of the dust might help so I did just that. I dismantled the back panel and the fan component entirely, detached and washed the fan blades, got rid of all the dust inside the laptop, put everything back hoping the issue was fixed. But the fans became even more loud and were vibrating even more. I got worried that I may have damaged it. I dismantled everything again and inspected the fan very closely trying to figure out what was causing the noise. I pushed the blades up lightly thinking that they were brushing against the chip below them. Then I put everything back except for the back panel screws, just in case I needed to open everything again. The noise still persisted.

I googled the issue and finally found this acer community thread. This was my last resort and if this hadn't worked I was going to place an order for a replacement fan. I dismantled the fan and lifted the blades again from their socket. I dropped a couple drops of hair oil on a cloth and applied it to the pin of the blades. Then I dipped the tip of my thin screw driver in the oil and put it in the socket where the pin of fan blades are supposed to go. This lubricated the socket a little. Finally I put everything back and hoped for the best. And it worked! Finally a silent notebook after a long time. Thanks again!

I think the friction between the pin of the fan blades, and the socket was causing an imbalance in the planar movement of blades causing them to tilt to one side. Lubricating the pin and the socket corrected it.
  • Statakaka
    Statakaka Member Posts: 1 New User

This worked great m8, thx a lot, made an acc just to thank you
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    This fix might not work for everyone and its just temporary sooner or later you will need to replace it 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/