Did moving files destroy my Hard Drive

Tszrivan
Tszrivan Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
i have an Aspire v 17 Nitro Running windows 10. Never had any issues until today, when I noticed my C: drive was full. The D: drive was completely empty, so I wanted to move the folders that took up the most space Program Files and Program Files (x86). So I copied them to the D: drive and waited for it to fully load so I could delete the folders in the C: drive.

Retroactively I know it was a dumbass move, because System Files are in those folders.

What happened was the copying process was finished and my laptop promptly crashed, only showing a light blue screen that told me a restart was necessary, it had a QR Code on the screen, but my laptop made a terrible sound, so I wasn’t able to react calmly, instead I pressed the power button for a forceful shutdown to make the noise stop. 

After turning it back on it was stuck on the Acer logo for a long time. Then it showed me “no bootable device”. I opened up setup utility. HDD1 showed no serial number or model name. HDD1 did show both.
How do I fix this? Did I destroy my computer because of a dumb mistake?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Sounds like you moved the Windows. Easiest way would be take out the  drive and connect it to a computer and move them back. Do you have a
    Windows CD you can boot from? Do you know how to move files and folders in DOS?
  • Tszrivan
    Thank you for answering! I’m glad it may not be completely hopeless

Unfortunately no to all of those. I don’t even have a disc-drive. With detailed instructions I could do some stuff, but I am not proficient at all. Taking out the drive would be a pretty risky thing for me to do, since it breaks warranty and I don’t even have the tools.

• philetus
    Download Media tool to your deshtop.   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  Before you start, Open this page and follow along
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/windows-10-media-creation-tool.html  This is instructions for the tool. Double click the tool. Skip #1,2 you're doing it. #3 Accept #4 wait #5 Create Installation media  next screen click ISO File and download to Desktop. Burn ISO to DVD. Let me know when that's all done.

• Tszrivan
    It’ll take a while because I don’t have easy access to a desktop right now, so I’m sorry that I can’t get this over with quickly 
  • It may not be necessary to create an iso. What happens when you press alt + f10 before the Acer logo? It probably won't work, if you've deleted the files.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • philetus
    I was thinking that because you said “no bootable device” that alt + f10 wouldn't work so I agree with egydiocoelho, it's worth a try.
    If not, when you burn the iso to disk, you must select Write image file to disc in whatever burner you're using.

• Tszrivan
    Hello!
    I brought my laptop to the store I bought it from and they fixed it for me! Turns out my drive was indeed broken, because they replaced my SSD. This was definitely something I couldn’t fix on my own. 
    Thank you for all your advice!