My Device Manager does show "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

System
System Member Posts: 4,513 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: Predator X34 USB 3.0 Hub Not Working.

Comments

• Haubitz
    Haubitz Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have this exact same problem.  What was the solution?  This has never worked since the day I unboxed the monitor brand new.  My Device Manager does show "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).  
  • Haubitz
    edited May 2020
    @Acer-Manny

Can someone please reply to this thread?  The USB hub in the monitor is non-functional.  I've tried downloading drivers from the driver page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/6376?b=1&pn=MM.T3MAA.003;

but windows says "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed..." even though it shows up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in Device Manager.  
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Haubitz said:
    @Acer-Manny

Can someone please reply to this thread?  The USB hub in the monitor is non-functional.  I've tried downloading drivers from the driver page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/6376?b=1&pn=MM.T3MAA.003;

but windows says "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed..." even though it shows up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in Device Manager.  
    Hi Haubitz, i am very sorry to hear you're having this error message when trying to use the USB hub, unfortunately, the Acer community is not a direct portal to customer or technical support, you can wait for a reply from other users or if you need immediate assistance you can contact your local Acer support channels: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,077 Pathfinder
    @Haubitz did your try this↓
    Open device manager→click on your desktop name→views→show hidden devices→click on action→scan for hardware changes

If problem still persists then right click on unknown device→select update 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Haubitz
    No, that did not work.  I do see "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" in the list in Device Manager, but then I still see the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" line as well.  Whatever I plug into the hub on the monitor still does not work.  I tried an optical mouse and the led lights do come on, but the mouse is not recognized at all.

I used the Acer Support chat and the agent told me to mail it in for repair.  What a pain.  I have a feeling that I will get the monitor back and the exact same thing will happen.  I will update this post.
  • Haubitz
    Update: I got the hub to work.  I first was able to actually borrow a friend's computer and when I plugged the monitor into it the hub worked!  After more troubleshooting, I right-clicked and "Uninstalled Device" on both the "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" and "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I did a reboot of the PC.  After bootup, when I plugged in the monitor it detected the hub and all is working.  I also wonder if having the monitor off and unplugged had something to do with it when I moved it over to the other PC to test.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Very likely it was the latter. Next time you see it, if you see it again, try doing a power reset. Disconnect all cables, then press and hold the power for 30 seconds. Wait for a while (like a few minutes) to make sure all power has bled off, and reconnect everything and turn it back on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.