I think my keyboard is screwed, d key and shift hardly works.

eminem2ka9
eminem2ka9 Member Posts: 68 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an acer helios 300. I had an issue about a year ago where the d key came off and the hinge clips broke, so i was left with nothing. Since 8 months after i've been using the key without the cap, not forcefully either and no water got in it. So right now, if i press the D key, i have to hold it and it's as if as i hold it (dddddddddddddddddd), something is pausing the key every now, so it's not registering touch properly at all anymore and only when it feels like it. So i have to hold the d key for about 2-5 seconds to get a response. Also my keyboard backlight isn't working. I got a key cap recently and it didn't fit, this was before this issue... so once it didn't fit.. i went without again and 2 weeks after i've had this issue. Anything i can do about this, like replace the keyboard? the shift key hardly works either especially when i want to use the question mark symbol.. also fn did have issues but it's back again. So i feel like i've caused internal damage of the keyboard from having no key cap and it's my fault. If i hold shift and press 1, this is what happens (111!!!!1!1!!!1!11!11!!11!!!!11). lmao.

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can send a picture of the problem with the hinge. On the keyboard, have you opened the notebook to check the keyboard and backlit connector?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W500OWPhaRA
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately I don't have a photo showing the side of the backlit cable that is connected to the keyboard. Now, you can try to perform these two options:
    b) reset the battery:
    On the display hinges that are having problems, can you send a photo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    You will have to remove the rivets:
    Watch this video of another model, how the rivets are removed:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    In my opinion, the ideal is that you send the notebook to a repair center.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    I did a search based on aliexpress:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

Answers

• eminem2ka9
    anyone? i wouldn't mind some feedback.
  • Sezokiller
    Sezokiller Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    hey there what is the exact model g3-571?
    "Life is like an assault if its going too well you are walking into an ambush."

Always include your PC model and specs for a better diagnose
  • eminem2ka9
    hey there what is the exact model g3-571?
    yeah that's the one. As of now it seems to be working fine more than not but not perfect so shift does and doesn't work depending on whether the S key works so they're co-dependant.. so i'm avoiding on pressing with my finger. So, i've robbed a rubber cap off of another unused laptop, and put my old cap on it. I have a new issue, any cap i use does not properly attach to the hinges, at least the top of the hinge. The bottom will connect, but the top.. it quite literally does not connect at all to the cap, despite being properly anchored to the keyboard. I will admit that one of the sides of the 'clips' on the cap are missing, but this doesn't excuse why the hinge just ignores the working clips altogether. The hinge is placed in a way that it has no issue 'springing' up .. so why is the cap rejecting it? Can you help me out? I have a new hinge and cap coming and i just want to sort this out.

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    You can send a picture of the problem with the hinge. On the keyboard, have you opened the notebook to check the keyboard and backlit connector?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    Here is an album. https://imgur.com/a/OFOOurH  --dDisclaimer that 1 of the clips in the middle part of the hinge is off, so it isn't holding both together, but it shouldn't matter a whole lot if still the top of the hinge isn't sticking at all. Plus you will notice one of the clips on the top of the cap are missing, but this still can't mean it won't anchor even a bit ddoes it? Also in the photos i'm using a different key but the same happens even with my original key cap which are both similar(i ordered and they sent me this one as the were out of the rest)gsssssscddx

and you mentioned the backlight wire and keyboard, i've made sure they keyboard wire was fully in. is the backlight wire separate? thanks.
  • just one question: is your notebook under warranty?
    Check here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    just one question: is your notebook under warranty?
    Check here:

It's not under warranty so taking it apart is alright. I will check out that orange wire, i heard they were separate but.. yeah i will sort that out and get back to you, i will make sure it's in properly. Also my FN key doesn't work and neither do some numpad keys. Thanks for responding. Any advice on the D key? Also i notice that one of the two spikes that go into the bottom of the hinge (the smaller side), one of them is slightly smaller and doesn't grab on to the hinge as well. Ugh, this key is screwed, lmao.
  • On the D key, check if the cable is damaged. I didn't understand what you meant here "Also i notice that one of the two spikes that go into the bottom of the hinge (the smaller side), one of them is slightly smaller and doesn't grab on to the hinge as well . " You can explain better?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    On the D key, check if the cable is damaged. I didn't understand what you meant here "Also i notice that one of the two spikes that go into the bottom of the hinge (the smaller side), one of them is slightly smaller and doesn't grab on to the hinge as well . " You can explain better?
    oddly enough, the D key seems to be responding normally now. The only issue is putting a cup, hinge and cap on properly.. and when i said spike i mean, you know the 'anchors' that are coming out of the laptop itself, to grab on to the hinge. The smaller part of the hinge(bottom), 1 of the spikes aren't protruding through the hinge hole to pull it as well, so you can see the hinge is lifted slightly on that side. Really, i've ordered a new key and hope all will go well, i'm sick of this 1 key being broken for monthsss. thanks.
  • Are you referring to this hinge?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    edited May 2020
    Are you referring to this hinge?

No, not the screen hinge, lol. The key retainers, on my keyboard. I've ordered in a new set anyway. About the red backlighting on the keyboard, i made sure the wire was in properly. Could it be that the other end of the wire isn't in properly, you know the one under the motherboard that goes into the keyboard. Also FN still doesn't work so i can't FN+F9, and the onscreen keyboard doesn't even activate these Function keys properly as you would on the keyboard itself.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately I don't have a photo showing the side of the backlit cable that is connected to the keyboard. Now, you can try to perform these two options:
    b) reset the battery:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    b) reset the battery:
    I didn't mean the screen hinge.. just the keyboard however. I do have big big issues with the screen hinge now that you mention it. However, it's even the hinge itself, the metal hinge is fine, it's the bezel around the hinge that keeps the screen in place that is broken on the left side of the screen. I made a topic on this before: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/576914/acer-predator-helios-300-g3-571-laptop-bezel-popping-off-hinges-when-opening-lid#latest

As of now, it has progressed heavily as it's been awkward to get parts (i'm not from the US) and i need to order in new parts. My guess is that the plastic clips on the bezel have broken a little, then with entropy.. the back bezel clips that hugged the front have broken too, leading to the screen just flopping about, lmao. I don't even close the screen on the laptop anymore when i'm not using it, i just leave it where it is, otherwise i have to tightly hold on to the hinge area with my life just so i don't snap something else. I do need to order a new front and back bezel and.. i think i may be confident enough to put these into place myself. None of these issues were my fault, i always ALWAYS opened the screen from the middle, never the sides.. and one day, i heard a slight 'snap' sound from the bezel that would happen everytime i opened it. I thought to myself... "aaaand here we goo baby". lol.
  • eminem2ka9
    Also i did the battery reset earlier(took out the battery, held the button for 15 seconds. I'll try that bios but i think i already have 1.22. thanks for responding btw. Should i take a look under the motherboard?
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited May 2020
    Did you check the connection of the letter E? What happens when you disconnect the rtc battery in the letter H?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    bumpppppppppp
  • eminem2ka9
    Did you check the connection of the letter E? What happens when you disconnect the rtc battery in the letter H?

i dont remember posting that 'buuump' post, wtf. anyway, yes i checked and reinserted it. I think i need a new keyboard, because the d has broke and i'm just pasting d at this point. id much prefer a professional do it but i'm not from the US. It sucks but i'll do it. also i must invest in a new bezel and everything. omg the struggle is real, lol. i'll be ordering from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32838008463.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.37fb30f9F8KEDU

is this a good website, and is the keyboard awkward to replace? thanks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    edited May 2020

I don't have a soldering iron tho, and i don't feel like ordering one ;( can i use a sharp knife instead? it'll be more tedious but i don't care at this point.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    In my opinion, the ideal is that you send the notebook to a repair center.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer