Charging disconnects every now and then on ACER ASPIRE A515-51G

DebajyotiSengupta
DebajyotiSengupta Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello all,
I am using an Acer Aspire a515-51G and running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. Since this morning I am facing a strange issue wherein when I charge my laptop it suddenly disconnects for a little while and then starts charging again. I have tried different power points but to no avail. The battery capacity menu(KUBUNTU 18.04) shows battery capacity to be 88%.(??)

It is slowly getting charged, for example it was 89% at first. After connecting and disconnecting multiple times it has now gone up to 94%. Obviously this constant disconnection is not ideal (and really annoying) and indicative of a systematic problem. Is there a solution?

If more details are required, please let me know, and I will add them in the post.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Check SysMon for high CPU/GPU usage. This often happens particularly with the smaller 45watt 2.4A charger if system is under high load and can't keep up with charging the battery at the same time.  Doesn't usually cause issues except slower charging under high load. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DebajyotiSengupta
    I'll check that too, but this has been happening even when the laptop is shut down.
  • JackE
    >>> but this has been happening even when the laptop is shut down. >>>

If the battery charge light starts to blink orange or blue with the laptop off, then this suggests that the battery's own internal charge/voltage regulator is failing. How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• DebajyotiSengupta
    The battery is about two years old.
  • JackE
    What does gnome power statistics show for battery history & stats. A screenshot would be helpful. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DebajyotiSengupta
    Do you mean these?
  • JackE
    Battery still  looks OK. What is the output voltage of the charger plug measured with a multimeter? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DebajyotiSengupta
    Hello Jack,
    I waited a few days before replying. For now, it seems the blinking has stopped, after the laptop charged up to 100%.

However, when I unplug, the battery automatically discharges to 95%, and after pugging back again, says that the laptop is fully charged.

I do not have a multimeter available at the moment, but I am asking around if someone in my neighbourhood has one. Are you suspecting unstable voltages?
  • JackE
    >>>it seems the blinking has stopped, after the laptop charged up to 100%.>>>

Blinking orange suggests a either a battery or charger issue. The open circuit voltage of the charger should be about 19v. Fortunately both the battery and charger are inexpensive for this particular model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DebajyotiSengupta
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll check if it's 19V.