SUDDEN FPS DROP ON ACER NITRO 5 AN515-43

Hakuya
Hakuya Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

can someone help me why my VGA RX560X got this kind of error.. while playing games like witcher 3 or FF XV, i got fps drop.. i notice it when i open the task manager my vga is running at 100% but suddenly it gets to 11% making every games get fps drop. the weird thing is it happen not to all games..( just cause 3 or ace combat 7 rarely get this fps drop) at first, i think it's because of new software (adrenaline) because before update i'm playing world war z without hassle. but now it got fps drop too (but dunno because i only play once and the fps drop is happening)  i want to rollback but i forget the version of the software.. sorry if my english is bad. just please help me..

Answers

• Despite being a different model, see this link: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/600932/how-can-i-use-my-radeon-rx-560x-gpu-instead-of-my -amd-radeon-vega-8 # latest
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hakuya

Tinkerer

thank you for your reply. i did this first before posting (i usually check others question before posting) but unfortunately the problem still exist. just fyi my laptop is running fine before adrenaline update. every game is perfect. no problem whatsoever. After i update to adrenaline the first problem is screen flickering. but the problem is usually happen while i'm browsing, not gaming. the latest update is the real problem. now the game is getting fps drop but not all games. just few games. i do wanted to remind you that my VGA RX560X works flawlessly at the beginning means the system knows i'm playing heavy games. but at the middle of the game, the fps drop is happen. it's like when it use integrated graphic for 3 to 5 second then change it back to vega 8... i though at first that the charger is unplugged. but it's not. and it only happen at few games but heavy games like the witcher 3 or FF XV etc.
    you can see my SS here

as you can see the VGA is working. the fps is normal (i use FF XV cause there's fps) but after playing for a while this happen

as you can see both CPU and GPU is dropping (dunno about CPU but GPU is dropped to 11%) and the fps is 11 to 15... it only happen for 3 to 7 second and happen too many. this is really grind my gear my friend :tired_face:  right now i'm using  this driver win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-19.12.2-dec12.. because the latest have the same problem as this one... may i ask what is the latest driver before adrenalin. cause i wanted to rollback to it and see if the problem exist. 
  • Hakuya

Tinkerer

alright... something is weird... i found the solution... maybe.. cause i just test 2 games.. because i am so mad at this.. i decided to clean uninstall.. then i install adrenalin (not latest) again but now im unplug the charger and use vega 8... and the fps drop is gone... i'm so mad because my rx560x cant run properly while vega can.. then, while playing games, i plug the charger back and voila... RX560X is working  without having fps drop (just test for an half hour so need more test but still..) while i think this is better. it still leave me with question.. what the hell is wrong that my gpu needs to use integrated gpu first for working properly.. please need a scientific answer rather than half baked answer like this. but for now i can play game better but won't  update to latest adrenaline cause i'm afraid this technique won't work .
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    @Hakuya
    In gaming laptop need play games while plugged in to get 100% performance.

Without charging your turbo boost will not work, rx560x not working in full potential.
    You will get 50% of performance 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Hakuya

Tinkerer

unfortunately... the problem still exist but good thing is, as long i'm using RX560X it will happen. but it's not dangerous than before (usually it takes 5 to 7 second but now it only happen for a sec or 2) i put the graphic display to low setting so the problem occur only for a sec. but this still a problem to me... i cannot play in med setting because of this.

@GAMING6698

as you can see in my previous post, i always plug the cable. I only want to test if the problem does persist even after i use other VGA (integrated VGA) and fortunately i can safe to say that it won't happen at integrated VGA. so the problem is in RX560X... but for a while after i change from integrated VGA to RX560X, the problem is gone.. then after exit the game and enter, the FPS drop occur again. so dunno why but my RX560X got something wrong. I'm sure latest update is the problem for me because after update it, my laptop become error (first screen flickering and then sudden FPS drop)

i thank you for all of you to spare your time.. till i found the solution, for now i just gonna use unplug-plug  so i can play the game normally
  • GAMING6698
    @Hakuya
    Run userbenchmark and post result link here

• I think the problem is occurring when the motherboard uses battery power to provide more performance. Try setting the minimum and maximum processor performance to 100%, both on the battery and the outlet:

Also get the video card to run at peak performance.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hakuya

Tinkerer

@GAMING6698

this is my result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28497645
    i did 3 test because the first one i forgot to plug the cable, the second i did it for fun and third is the test i provide here.. i want to mention every test is different while the first one is the worst, second test is the best while last test is almost as same as the second the differece only 0.1 to 0.4 %

@egydiocoelho
    now that you mention it , i can see that one of em is in 5%.. i change it to 100% and now i will test it. 

• GAMING6698
    @Hakuya
    Thermal throttling in your laptop
    To confirm→
    Open nitrosense and minimize it then open and play your game for 10mins.
    After 10mins close your game→open nitrosense and post screenshot 

• Hakuya

Tinkerer

@GAMING6698
    sorry i got a load of work to do so cannot test till now. anyway this is the screenshot of my nitro boost

as you can see i'm playing for more than 10 min.. those are the result.. hope you can find what is wrong with my PC

@egydiocoelho
    i did and nothing change.. the sudden fps drop is still there..

oh yeah just want to ask again in case someone forgot.. not all games having same problem like this.. in grid 2 and grid auto sport it's not fps drop but freezing.. i mean how come i play with older GPU (PC GT 700ish with core 2 duo at 2.8 ghz) so smooth while this new GPU got freezing before every corner... it doesn't make any sense.. but i can surely say other games like RE 2 and PES 2019 is playable without any error that i mention.. is it because PES 2019 is not heavy game.. dunno if RE 2 is heavy game or not but for now the problem still lies in heavy game like witcher 3 or FF XV.. 
  • GAMING6698
    edited May 2020
    @Hakuya
    Yes,i am right! their is thermal throttling
    Are you still under warranty?

• @ GAMING6698, how did you configure your notebook, so you don't have problems with fps drops?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GAMING6698
    edited May 2020
    @egydiocoelho
    🤔just using correct game settings, changed some window settings

Most important i just repasted and undervolt my gpu(undervolt decrease 6°C-7°C)
    To avoid thermal throttling 

Going to upgrade ram in future because Upgrading ram can increase performance too,
    8GB is not enough

• @GAMING6698 As many users have the an515-43 model, can you create a topic, showing all the changes you have made to optimize the amd video card? Many users are looking for ways to optimize the amd video card.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GAMING6698
    @egydiocoelho
    Good idea, but i can't Because i am still testing some tuning settings like undervolting, temperature limit, Vram tuning etc

• Hakuya

Tinkerer

man.. so that is the problem. gonna go to acer  to check if mine is still under warranty or not. have to wait for few days because of this covid 19 .. thanks for information.. gonna answer after i fix my laptop. for now.. cheers
  • Hakuya

Tinkerer

@GAMING6698

this is my result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28497645
    i did 3 test because the first one i forgot to plug the cable, the second i did it for fun and third is the test i provide here.. i want to mention every test is different while the first one is the worst, second test is the best while last test is almost as same as the second the differece only 0.1 to 0.4 %

@egydiocoelho

now that you mention it , i can see that one of em is in 5%.. i change it to 100% and now i will test it. gonna play game for a while and see if it works (gonna restart to make sure it works)

• Piksul
    Piksul Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

@Hakuya hows the problem now?
    I'm facing same problem with my ans515-43
  • ChungAnh
    ChungAnh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Me too, i am also using the same laptop AN515 - 43 560x as you.  when i play league of legends my fps is always around 100 fps (low setting ) but sometimes it drops to 1 - 20 fps within 2-3 seconds which makes me very annoying, i'm also using amd radeon software like you