What RAM is available to my situation

Jamesc98
Jamesc98 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi guys, bought myself a new predator desktop GTX1070 and it has came equipped with 16GB RAM installed. I play poker and am looking to run simulations that can require up to 100GB of RAM. I know this is a big ask of the desktop however I seen that the windows 10 64 bit-processor could handle 128GB of installed RAM usage. I am open to buying as much as I can possibly get but I am a bit of a noob when it comes to what will fit in my motherboard with only 4 slots. 3 of them are in use at the moment and the computer tells me that one slot is available with only x1 data lane available. I am unsure of what this means for the amount of RAM that i will be able to install into my computer. I don't want to buy too much and then there is not enough space available. Is someone able to fill me in on what RAM I will be able to successfully add into my computer given the information above? Would be very much appreciated :+1: Computer is Intel core i7 @ 3.20 GHz if that means anything. Thanks

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    This model supports a maximum of 64GB of RAM (4 slots - 4x16GB each) SD-RAMM DDR4 2400 / 2666Mhz

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Good evening Jamesc98 !

Which EXACT model of your computer?
    Is it really correct for such applications to require 100 GB of RAM ?????
    I am completely unaware of such applications.
    I run extremely high-speed applications and security tests, and such RAM capacity would never be needed.
    The standard support for virtually every motherboard available on the market ranges from 32 to 64 GB.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Jamesc98
    Hi MaClane

The maximum that is required would be near to 100GB but 100GB is for sure the absolute maximum required. However, reaching between 30-50GB is better than nothing, but yes the program does require this amount of RAM. This is a poker simulation with multiple nodes and many different actions available and is certainly as in depth as humanly possible into the poker game tree. I am just unsure of what capacity my motherboard will hold and how much each slot will fill. My computer tells me that only one slot is available and I am unsure of how much RAM can successfully be installed.  
    Basically I am unsure what this means. Since I have one slot available with only one data lane. Can I buy one stick of 8GB, 16GB OR 32GB RAM to fill this space? Or does it work differently?

This is also the sim that I would like to run. As you can see I only have 11GB of RAM to use left from the 16GB already on the computer. I am just unsure of what I would need to buy to run a sim as heavy as this.

This is also the model of the computer.

Many thanks for the reply
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    This model supports a maximum of 64GB of RAM (4 slots - 4x16GB each) SD-RAMM DDR4 2400 / 2666Mhz

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    You might be better served to look into server machines, they often support 128GB or higher of system memory. Though according to their website technical details, you almost never need more than 16GB of RAM.
    A typical tree takes anywhere from 500MB to 4GB of RAM if you use one 
    bet size. Once you start adding bet-sizes you can build as big tree as 
    your RAM can handle. If you are curious about specific trees, feel free 
    to drop us an email. In general 16GB of RAM is almost never a limitation
     while 8GB sometimes is for really big trees with multiple bet sizes.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jamesc98
    Hi Billsey.

My computer comes with 16GB of RAM and as stated above it says that it is not enough memory to do the sim I asked it to. Is it some other type of memory that is lacking from the computer? From what I have seen my available RAM is 11GB and the sim requires 79GB when I estimate the tree size
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020
    What I'm guessing is that they are talking about storage space, not memory. How much room do you have on C:?
    Have you contacted their tech support? They likely can clear it up as to what they are looking for.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.