Can I use 8GB RAM for my ASPIRE ONE 722?

Kaikhü
Kaikhü Member Posts: 2 New User
Will my old laptop ASPIRE ONE support 8GB RAM?My first ten Serial number is LUSFT08055.Thanks

Answers

• Kaikhü
    Kaikhü Member Posts: 2 New User
    Also will it be ok to replace it with a higher MHZ ,say 1333.Currently I think my laptop runs on 2GB, 667MHZ.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Kaikhü said:
    Also will it be ok to replace it with a higher MHZ ,say 1333.Currently I think my laptop runs on 2GB, 667MHZ.
    You have a 1333MHz module(2x667MHz), you can upgrade to a 1600MHz module.
  • Ebby
    Ebby Member Posts: 2 New User
    The answer is actually yes, it CAN run 8GB. I've done it myself. Getting a stick that works with it is complicated, as not just any 8GB stick will do.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't use mine much and only bothered looking for an upgrade a few months ago, as the stock 2GB is far too small for much of anything nowadays. In searching for this very same issue, I found this blog post:
    Of course, finding that specific RAM model is impossible now, but looking up the detailed specs I was able to find others that are close enough.

DDR3
    1333MHz
    CAS 9
    9-9-9-24
    1.5v
    2Rx8 Dual Rank

That last part is a critical bit that the blogger failed to mention. It basically means it has 8 RAM chips on both sides, 16 total! I got mine from A-Tech on Amazon. I don't know how this forum feels about posting product links, but searching for A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1333MHz SODIMM 2Rx8 1.5V will get the item I bought. The price was decent too but they take their dear sweat time to ship it.

It's not that Acer lied when they said the max was 4GB. To put it simply, manufacturers tend to be conservative with the memory specs to insure the highest range of compatibility. Other sticks might work, but with many specifics and caveats that would be a tech support nightmare.

Oh and you must have a 64bit OS to address anything bigger than 4GB. If you directly upgraded from the original OS to Windows 8 or 10, you would have the 64bit version.

• Ebby
    Ebby Member Posts: 2 New User
    The answer is actually yes, it CAN run 8GB. I've found that others had done it, but getting the exact specs was tricky as not just any 8GB stick will do. To put it simply, manufacturers tend to be conservative with the memory specs to insure the highest range of compatibility. Other sticks might work, but with many specifics and caveats that would be a tech support nightmare. After some research, I took the leap and got an 8GB stick myself and it works fine. All 8GB recognized and passes an extended memory test.

DDR3
    1333MHz
    CAS 9
    9-9-9-24
    1.5v
    2Rx8 Dual Rank

That last part is a critical bit that I had to figure out on my own. It basically means it has 8 RAM chips on both sides, 16 total! You can search for 8GB DDR3 1333MHz SODIMM 2Rx8. Just make sure it's a single stick not a "kit". I know it's a bit late to post about such an old system now, but I couldn't find proper details about this anyway and figured that anyone still running one of these would want to know about it.

Oh and you must have a 64bit OS to address anything bigger than 4GB. If you directly upgraded from the original install to Windows 8 or 10, you would have the 64 bit version.

• rdreyes
    rdreyes Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yes you can.

I have Acer Aspire one 722 with:
    • 500 GB hdd
    • 2 GB ram DDR3 (1.5V)
    • Windows 7 Starter 32 Bits
    • AMD Dual Core C60

Today Jul 30, 2022 I made the following updates:

• 1 TB SSD Kingston KC600
    • 8 GB ram DRR3L (1.35V) 1600 MHZ Mushkin 992038 11-11-11-28
    • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits

A 32 bit Windows, does not support more than 3.2 GB of ram. If you want 4 GB or more you must put a 64 bit operating system.

Having installed Windows 10 from scratch, it gave me generic drivers for the video card, lan, wifi, etc. Run Windows Update and it has already installed appropriate drivers for each component.

The headphone jack had stopped working a long time ago. This is the only thing not working.