Disable Intel RST after BIOS update Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51

trekkie1701c
trekkie1701c Member Posts: 3 New User
So I have an Acer Nitro 5 (Specifically a AN517-51) and I recently upgraded the BIOS on it to see if that would fix some intermittent issues in Windows.  It didn't; however, the latest BIOS (version 1.29) seems to have disabled a LARGE number of options in the BIOS.  Most importantly, it seems that this has disabled my ability to change the mode of the SATA controller and I can no longer disable Intel RST.

This is problematic as I was dual-booting the system with Ubuntu Linux, which was running just fine when I was able to run in AHCI mode.  I'd like to be able to disable Intel RST again, and I was wondering if there was a way to change that back?  It seems a simple enough thing to ask to unlock, since it was previously unlocked.  Or am I simply missing an option that currently exists to unlock it?

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It is important to highlight that you must press CTRL + S, when the MAIN tab is open.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Try pressing Ctrl+S buttons while in the Main tab of BIOS screen, it will give you the option to switch to AHCI mode, however, I would suggest backup everything because when I tried to switch to AHCI in my system, I got BSOD, so I have reverted back to Intel Premium RST with Optane mode.
  • trekkie1701c
    This didn't have any effect, unfortunately.  The option remains greyed out and unchanged.

I do have a backup of all of my data and I can recreate both the Windows and Linux installs fairly easily, and I'm aware Windows can be persnippity when switching from RAID to AHCI mode.  However, Ubuntu doesn't seem to have the ability to detect drives that are in RST mode whatsoever, and since both M.2 slots are going to be running different operating systems, there's no benefit to me to having Intel's particular implementation enabled (and several big downsides to having it enabled).

I have been able to get back in to my Linux install by cloning the SSD it was installed to over to my laptop's hard drive, but this is a less than ideal solution to the problem for quite a few reasons.  It'd be a lot easier if the BIOS update hadn't changed the setting back to RST from AHCI and if it hadn't locked the setting.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try Ctrl+S in the safe boot as mentioned by @egydiocoelho in this thread.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/579607/nitro-5-an515-54-change-sata-mode-from-rst-to-ahci

After pressing Ctrl+S SATA Mode option will be available.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It is important to highlight that you must press CTRL + S, when the MAIN tab is open.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • trekkie1701c

Ah, I guess that was my disconnect, then.  Thanks, it seems to be working now.
  • @trekkie1701c You are welcome. Also accept the answer from colleague @brummyfan2, as it is also correct and more complete.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• FilipeAugusto
    FilipeAugusto Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

This should be visible by default and the default mode AHCI!

My "old" acer from 2019 got stuck with intel cause i didnt knew this...

My new acer is fixed. Thanks for the clarification, BUT, this needs to visible from start.

ohh, and some sugestions:

1. It would be appropriate to have an option to open access to the advanced bios menu, with notice that the user is fully responsible for any damage he causes with the modifications, considering that other notebooks, such as Dell's, which allow the user to make advanced changes to the system. Although they also limit in some ways.

to not lose windows when changing from RST to AHCI without losing anything (AFAIKT :))

1. So:Boot into Windows
    2. Open a shell as administrator
    3. Run bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
    4. Reboot, enter BIOS and switch to AHCI
    5. Reboot into Windows again
    6. Open another shell as administrator
    7. Run bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
    8. Reboot

https://superuser.com/questions/1529049/how-to-change-safely-storage-controller-mode-from-rst-to-ahci-in-windows-10