TC-885-UA92 Compatible Graphics Cards?

heefageLA
heefageLA Member Posts: 6 New User
Hello folks. Totally ignorant computer guy here. Im looking to add a dedicated graphics card to my TC-885-UA92 computer. Ive been reading for some time that it is tricky to add gaming capabilities to this computer.

ANY advice and help is greatly appreciated. 

I understand I may have to add a larger power supply and possibly an additional fan... 

Answers

• heefageLA
    Would something like an Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti work?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/Rating/3649
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    IIRC you have a 500W power supply with an ATX form factor. You have a graphics slot that is x16, but there may be clearance issues at the back due to the drive mounting plate. That might be a bit less of an issue with your SKU since I think you came with no HDD and use an M.2 NVMe SSD instead. They shipped at least some SKUs with a shorty 1050 2GB so you shouldn't have any issues as long as you measure first to either fit a low profile card under the HDD mount or a short card in front of the HDD mount. If you go a bit newer than the 1050 ti you might want to bump your PSU up to 650-750W just to make sure you're not going to run low on power when running the card heavily.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vc2020
    vc2020 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same computer. We have a 300W power supply. A 1050 works without a GPU upgrade, there's a video on YouTube of a guy demonstrating putting a 1050 in this same computer. I'd imagine a 1650 could work as well (75W slot-powered) and possibly a 1650 Super by using the 2 free SATA connectors and converting it to a 6-pin, but that might be pushing it on the stock power supply. I got an RX560 (also slot-powered) to put in but haven't gotten it to work successfully yet. Will let you know if I can get it running!
  • heefageLA
    edited May 2020
    Heres a link to a guy installing a 500w PSU and a 1660 Super in a TC-885 case. He lost his CD drive because it was so tight inside there, and alot of comments say he lost adequate air flow as well...

I have total confidence in being able to change out parts, but I dont want to buy something that will cause me lose other functions of the computer, or buy something that doesnt fit and have to deal with returns/exchanges. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFCMx_V9oaM&t=649s

• heefageLA
    Pretty interesting article on the hierarchy of graphics cards... Still have no idea on which to choose, but this list helps. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html 
  • heefageLA
    Apologies for continuing to comment without feedback, but the more I read on this the more frustrated i get and my head hurts. There seems to dozens upon dozens of cards out there. I have no idea which way to go. Again, I have total confidence in being able to change out parts, but dont know what I need to buy. When I watch youtube videos on graphics cards i get lost in the lingo. I have no idea what they're talking about...

I want to spend ~$150-200 on a better graphics card than the one that came with the computer. I would rather not have to change out the power supply, but will if it comes to that. 

Ive had my finger over the Add To Cart button on this card, but dont know if it will fit or if I have enough power to even run it... Please help an ignorant fool. 

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-14-932-231&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-9B-14-932-231&gclid=CjwKCAjwkun1BRAIEiwA2mJRWd1tlVL-qwGb-b11xR-RKCW7nZaYFljHE3x5LfxeHUDxAKzV1Zd_pBoCcGEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Open it up and measure. That's pretty much to only way to be sure a specific card will fit. Each manufacturer that makes card that use the same GPU has the flexibility to do their own size and shape, so some target with short cards, some target long narrow cards, etc...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stevoo
    stevoo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue and would love to know, if anyone found a compatible video card with this unit.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I have researched from the Nvidia web site, knowing that the GTX 1050 series card can be used for 300W powered computers, as the power needed for GTX 1050 is not that high (I believe it is in the 65W-75W range, cannot remember exact number). I have a TC-885 UA91, so I cannot say about the UA92 sub-model for sure. As for the UA91, Acer used a proprietary power supply unit, the size is standard but the number of connectors and connector type (for the CD/DVD drive) is different from standard PSU. This is where Acer cut corner and cost. I think  there is a good chance that the GTX 1050 will work just using the power from the motherboard, as there is a 6-pin power connector already plugged to the motherboard. I will not buy another power supply for the GTX 1050 card unless proven needed. Different manufacturers building GTX 1050 will still have different sizes and number/type of connectors. It is good to make up decision what type of connectors that you need before buying it. I personally will try to avoid one that has DVI and HDMI combo type of connectors. Some graphics cards do not allow DVI and HDMI both live at the same time.

As for the size of graphics card, the UA91(I believe UA92 just use a different processor) model has enough space for that. There seemed to be nothing on the motherboard will block a full length graphics card, it should be able to take a graphics card of 11"+.
    One thing to keep in mind is that, be prepare to give up the x1 slot next to the x16 slot, where you'll put the graphics card. GTX 1050 is a two slot card( as powerful graphics cards are usually two slot card, some will even take up three slot), it will also occupy the space of the x1 slot, making it impossible to be used.
  • ttttt
    One more thing. I have seen people claimed he installed the 1050 Ti to the TC-885 UA91 and was happy about it from another web site.
  • kenstrguy
    kenstrguy Member Posts: 11 New User
    would these suggestions be compatible with tc-885-ua91
  • ttttt
    I believe the UA91 and UA92 sub-model difference is the processor. The PC chassis and motherboard should be the same. That's why they share the same model number TC-885, because both use the TC-885 motherboard.  Power supply should be the same 300W output unit.

• TomGolfer
    TomGolfer Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the TC-885-UA92.  I put a Zotac card in (for specificity, not an endorsement, here is a link to it on Amazon: 

ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 64-bit PCIe 3.0 DirectX 12 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card ZT-P10300A-10L

Doesn't stress the 300 w power supply.   Low profile; fit easily in cramped case.  Only drawback is that output is 1 DVI and 1 HDMI, but that is easily overcome with an adapter...

• ttttt
    @TomGolfer,
    I think there is a tradeoff when using the GT 1030 card. The speed of the the GT 1030 is little more than doubling the speed of the on-board Intel UHD 630, however  people have to give up one output port. On-board graphics is one VGA + 2 HDMI ports. Most people will think it doesn't matter to give up one port, but some (like me) may think that is important.
    Anyhow, the GT 1030 is a one slot card, I think it cannot be considered a powerful graphics card nowadays. Maybe some people will disagree.
  • ttttt
    @TomGolf,

Correction! GT 1030 speed should be less than doubling Intel UHD 630 speed.
  • nnapstrebor
    nnapstrebor Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sorry I'm late.  Installed the GTX 1050Ti
    in the PCIe slot in my TC-885 UA92 with the existing 300W PSU with no issues.  It has been running great for a couple of weeks short of a year.  I initially tried the 1650 Gaming X but it required the 6 pin.  I was thinking about upgrading the PSU and found this post.  
  • ttttt
    @nnapstrebor
    So, you installed a GTX 1050-ti low profile card to the TC-885 UA91 or UA92 with the original 300W PSU and don't need the 6-pin PCIe power connector to the card, is that right?
    I suppose yours is not a Zotac card, because I have heard some complains about Zotac GTX 1050-ti mini cards are not compatible with TC-885 PCs.
  • Flexbox
    Flexbox Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I think it useful information. Which video card should I get for this build for Intel Core i5-4690 3.5 GHz Quad-Core? I also read to reviews on benchmarks, for example as:
    https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-2080-vs-Radeon-RX-6700-XT
    https://rankquality.com/en/graphics-card/
    https://versus.com/en/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super
    I think that there's a very nice card with lots of performance for the price. Let's go on talking about it.
  • ttttt
    @Flexbox

Yes, these are good cards, but all in USD $1,000 range or higher. Just the price of a graphics card alone is higher than the whole entry level gaming PC.