BIOS update to support Ryzen 3700x? Helios 500 question

12345679»

Answers

• NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    bobzdar said:
    NiteNinja said:
    Since this BIOS is locked out, any tweaks to the CPU clocks and enabling Precision Boost Overdrive won't stick after a reboot. You have to enable PBO at the BIOS level for it to apply.
    I've recently built a desktop out of the 2700X that I tried in the Helios earlier, and with a ASRock X470, I had to find PBO buried in a long hierarchy of advanced user garbage. With a 360mm radiator I finally broke 4100 in Cinebench R20. 

Getting to the memory on the backside is a royal pain in the keister. I've repeatedly stripped it down to do repaste and CPU swaps, but to take out the actual motherboard requires even more screw removal. Thankfully they all use the same size screw in this machine. Once you have it down to the bare CPU and GPU. You'll need to remove the remaining screws and ribbon cables attached to the board then gently pry it out. 
    I don't mind having to use Ryzen Master every boot as I don't actually reboot often.  Getting to the factory memory is a pain, so if you go in, re-paste as well.  I wouldn't bother unless you have some high speed ram with a jedec profile, iirc there's one 3000mhz kit out there that does.  Even then, I don't know anyone that has actually done it to verify it works, I just know there's no XMP setting.  Maybe with an unlocked bios some of that stuff could be enabled?  Acer built some great hardware but kind of gimped it software/bios wise.  It could be even better if they fixed that stuff up.  I've lost hope of that at this point, though.
    You'll also still be limited by Ryzen's memory controller. For this series, you can only get 2933mhz with 2 sticks of single rank memory. Filling all 4 slots with single rank will drop you down to 2133 (as "supported speeds" go).
    I currently have 2400 stable with 2 ranks per channel, but I've tried adding dual rank memory and my system was really unstable. So your mileage may vary.
  • Estafiy
    Estafiy Member Posts: 3 New User
    Can you tell me how many mv core voltage you lowered and how much you added the core frequency? I have -62 mV and a frequency of 1450 Mhz in MSI afteburning, but in the game I have 1340 Mhz, it does not go higher (. Is this normal? Thanks for prompting me. I still hope that Acer will release the Bios update for the ryzen 3600, can they really dislike their consumers! And why they do not release the updated vega 56 drivers (.
  • JokerSix8
    JokerSix8 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @BurnsXL Hi Burns. I just came across your thread hear and I too would really like to know if that upgrade with the 3700 works please let me know as I too have the Helios 500 and was wondering if I could actually take my cpu up to the 3800XT. Now after reading this thread it seems that, that might be a far stretch if the 3700X is as far as we can go. I wish you the best of luck bud and really hope it works for you because as soon as and IF Acer releases an updated BIOS I too will be the first in line. Just a quick question tho, I did go to the 2700x, is that as far as we can go as of now period or is the 3XXX series the next bump up? One more thing, does anyone have any information on our current BIOS version. My father and I are used to doing our OCing via BIOS and this is a first for me playing around with Ryzen Master. Does anyone have any good tips for good clocks and voltages? And why when I do OC in Ryzen Master that Windows does not recognize the change. Apologies for all the questions just want to learn as much as I can about this machine. Some of this is all new to me and I would hate to feel that it could become obsolete anytime soon. Any and all help and advice is appreciated.
  • NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @JokerSix8
    Even the 2700X, although compatible, is system power limited when installed in the Helios 500. It'll power throttle, and even shut the computer completely off. The VRMs can't handle it.
    I feel the Helios 500 is EOL as of a year ago. But even as is, the 2700 and Vega 56 are a good pairing anyway.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2020
    JokerSix8 simple answer is no wont work and will never will unfortunately there wont be bios updates to support ryzen 3 the best chance here its a brand new refreshed model but with the new ryzen apu's out i really doubt that would happen afyer all manufacturers want to upgrade not downgrade also overclocking wont work all acer bios are locked only modded bios are unlocked and as NiteNinja said the stock its still a really good pair amd its only now jumping into the laptops world but when they really perfect it what will most probably happen will be kicking the blue team as they already did on desktops just hope ill still be here to see it its gonna be awesome :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/