Service Manual on Broken Screen Replacement for Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271

rem2019
rem2019 Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi, where can I find a Service Manual or video on how to change broken screen for Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271?
So far I only found youtube videos on battery and heatsink removal but nothing on screen removal/replacement for this model.
TIA

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Sorry, that's probably because the service manual does not have a separate screen replacement section. In fact, the disassembly procedure is not too well documented relative to other normal laptop models probably because it's more of a tablet. But it does look like the disassembly must go at least as far as removing the mainboard. Thus not easy.  The Binh chap didn't appear to go much farther than separating the back cover and battery. But if you hear anything back from him, please post any useful tidbits here because some of us also have this model. Thanks Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    I've had mine apart a couple of times and it's not toooo bad. :) But definitely not for the faint of heart. Make sure you remove the SD card if you have one installed or else you'll break things. There is a screw on each side under the kickstand that you need to remove, then it's easiest of you take the kickstand itself off to give best access to the case, just unscrew it from the hinges and rotate them back out of the way. Start in the upper center and work both ways when trying to split the case halves, the line between the silver back and the black front is where it splits. Be really careful and take your time and you should be good. When the halves are free from each other watch that you don't pull them apart without first freeing the ribbon cable. If you get a jerk you can break the cable pretty easily (don't ask how I know). IIRC pretty much everything you need to pull off the screen side is ... everything. That means battery, motherboard, speakers, antennas, etc.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gamemaker
    Gamemaker Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Billsey -

Awesome - thank you!

What is the model number or spec for a replacement screen for this tablet?
    And do I need one of those screen repair kits, or is that just a fancy name for "some screwdrivers"?

I need to replace the screen on my son's Switch Alpha 12, which still has quite a bit of life in it, I think. Acer wants $420 plus shipping, and I'm not sure it has THAT much life in it - but I'm willing to try it myself if I can get a screen for $150 or so, especially with Billsey's excellent guidance.

Thanks!
  • JackE
    If you don't mind waiting 4-6weeks, go here https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33009008707.html. Fairly reliable distributor in my experience. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Yeah, the AliExpress one is a good choice, other than the shipping time. You can also find them on eBay reasonably often, though if they're going to ship from China you might as well get it from Ali. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PittAussie
    PittAussie Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2020
    The screen mounting frame is actually "melted" to the plastic of the bezel. To replace the screen the melted plastic welds would need to be cut away. You would then need some other method to secure the new screen. Basically, removing the screen requires destroying the mechanism that holds the screen in place.
    A much easier way would be to buy the whole frame, including the screen, which is actually cheaper.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000437387674.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.12cb3954MbCI7q
  • PittAussie
    PittAussie Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2020
    The screen mounting frame is actually "melted" to the plastic of the bezel. To replace the screen the melted plastic welds would need to be cut away. You would then need some other method to secure the new screen. Basically, removing the screen requires destroying the mechanism that holds the screen in place.
    A much easier way would be to buy the whole frame, including the screen, which is actually cheaper.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000437387674.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.12cb3954MbCI7q
    Choose the option with the frame. It's only $8 more than the screen alone that was posted by someone else above.
    If you look at the 4th picture on that page you will see the small black plastic oval shaped around the edge of the frame. Those are all the plastic welds that would need cut off to replace just the screen.
  • jslewis
    jslewis Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

are there any videos online showing someone doing the screen replacement?  I don't really understand the "frame" comment  
    "The screen mounting frame is actually "melted" to the plastic of the bezel"
  • nebular
    nebular Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know it's been a few months, but being as I just did this I feel I can help with this discussion for future people Googling how to replace the screen.

The screen is not fused to the frame. It can't be, the screen is glass, the frame is plastic. The screen is glued in place.

The frame refers to the plastic and metal frame that makes up the bezel around the screen and the motherboard, buttonboard, and battery are attached to. The metal you see behind the motherboard and battery when removing the back, is not the LCD, the screen is behind that. That actually makes getting the screen off that much easier, as it gives the frame more strength so the plastic doesn't snap easily when flexing it.

So to remove the screen is actually quite simple. Remove the guts from the frame (to avoid accidental damage) then apply heat to the outside edge of the screen. Blow dryer, heating pad, or heat gun all work, but be careful with the heat gun. Once it's warm enough the adhesive becomes tacky and you can pry the screen away from the bezel, but be careful, it's very easy to crack the screen while doing this, especially if it's not warm enough. Once the screen is off, you can put on the new screen, but you will need to replace the adhesive. I'm using plain double sided tape as a quick and dirty fix, but I might need something stronger down the road. The main thing is that the adhesive can't be too thick or the screen will stick out above the bezel.

• JackE
    Thanks for your report.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ