How to upgrade RAM of my new Aspire 5

kotakja
kotakja Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I bought this laptop: 
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-15-6-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-10210u-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/13978141

What RAM should I get to boost it to 12ram or 16ram? 
Should I buy one or two RAM sticks?
What should I buy? (brand? where?)

Answers

• kotakja

Tinkerer

I looks at DDR4 RAM on Amazon/BestBuy and I'm more confused as ever. What exactly is the type/kind/brand I should buy?

There's too many. There's even a single 16GB RAM. Would that work? What should I get for my Aspire.
  • kotakja

Tinkerer

Please help. :(
    I don't know what RAM to buy.

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Please give your exact model number for example A515-** you will find it on a sticker on the underside of your laptop

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kotakja

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    Please give your exact model number for example A515-** you will find it on a sticker on the underside of your laptop
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-15-6-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-10210u-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/13978141
  • LeoLOST23
    LeoLOST23 Member Posts: 38 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited April 2020
    Hi, i have the A515-54G (same model but with the MX250) and i ordered with 16GB single channel RAM, because it only has one slot and no RAM is soldered. The laptop had 8GB by factory but they removed the 8GB and add a 16GB stick. If you have the same motherboard, you can remove the 8GB and buy 16. Hope it helps.

P.S.: CPU-Z also show me (i think by mistake) that i have two slots, but it only has one.
  • kotakja

Tinkerer

LeoLOST23 said:
    Hi, i have the A515-54G (same model but with the MX250) and i ordered with 16GB single channel RAM, because it only has one slot and no RAM is soldered. The laptop had 8GB by factory but they removed the 8GB and add a 16GB stick. If you have the same motherboard, you can remove the 8GB and buy 16. Hope it helps.

P.S.: CPU-Z also show me (i think by mistake) that i have two slots, but it only has one.

Hello Leo. My name is Leo too.
    1. What exactly is the 16gb (product name, type, model) you bought and from where?
    2. What does "single channel ram" mean?
    3. What does "no ram soldered" mean?
    4. Who is the "they removed the 8gb"? Who's the "they"? Your friend? Repair shop or ACER?
    5. What is the "stick" that was added?
    6. What is something that I "remove"? If it's removable, why remove it when you can just add to it? For example, if there's already an 8gb in there, why remove it when you can just add another 8gb so you have a total 16gb?
  • LeoLOST23
    LeoLOST23 Member Posts: 38 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited April 2020
    kotakja said:
    LeoLOST23 said:

Hello Leo. My name is Leo too.
    1. What exactly is the 16gb (product name, type, model) you bought and from where?
    2. What does "single channel ram" mean?
    3. What does "no ram soldered" mean?
    4. Who is the "they removed the 8gb"? Who's the "they"? Your friend? Repair shop or ACER?
    5. What is the "stick" that was added?
    6. What is something that I "remove"? If it's removable, why remove it when you can just add to it? For example, if there's already an 8gb in there, why remove it when you can just add another 8gb so you have a total 16gb?
    Hi, how are you?
    1. A friend of mine bought the laptop for me from X-Kom, in Poland. The RAM is from poland too. It's Wilk Elektronik, DDR4 2400MHz. They replace the 8GB stick for the 16GB one.
    2. Single channel is one channel of memory, because my Acer only has one slot available and i can't do dual channel (two channels works better, for example, in some games you can have double the FPS).
    3. They soldered the RAM to the motherboard, to thin laptops or ultrabooks, to save space or for tiny motherboards.
    4. X-Kom replaced the 8GB stick for a 16GB stick.
    5. Stick is the RAM module.
    6. If you have soldered memory (4 or 8GB) and the laptop has an extra slot for the RAM, you can add more memory, but if you have, like my laptop, only one slot to add memory and you want to go from 8GB to 16GB, you must replace the 8GB stick with a 16GB one. My laptop is a single channel machine.

Hope this helps. 

P.S.: I think you have the same model without an Nvidia graphics card. So you'll need to replace the 8GB module with a 16GB one. You can sell the 8GB of RAM and buy a 16GB stick with these specs: SODIMM, DDR4, 2400MHz or 2666MHz (maximum frequency supported) and choose whatever brand you like (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc).