doesn't charge and blue,orange indicators are blinking together. Fix? - Aspire 5 A515-51G-59Z0

Hasith
Hasith Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have a Aspire 5 A515-51G-59Z0. When I connect the the charger it shows that it's charging for a second then it stops and the blue and orange lights on the side start blinking together. The battery keeps draining and soon it will die and I have no way to charge it. I did try using another acer charger on this but still the same issue. Also checked the output of the charger and its ok, 19.4V. Did anyone else come across this problem. If so how did u fix it?

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Remove the charger. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds. Then insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom cover for 30 seconds. Wait 15mins. Plug the charger back in. If steady orange charging LED, don't try to turn machine on till steady blue. If still blinking orange LED, battery is likely unrecoverable due to being drained for extended period below critical level (less than about 4%). Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Hasith
    Hasith Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Remove the charger. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds. Then insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom cover for 30 seconds. Wait 15mins. Plug the charger back in. If steady orange charging LED, don't try to turn machine on till steady blue. If still blinking orange LED, battery is likely unrecoverable due to being drained for extended period below critical level (less than about 4%). Jack E/NJ 
    I tried this and after few seconds both lights light up and become steady. I let it be like that for about a min and then turned on the laptop but it started to blink again and wasn't charging.
    I haven't left the battery to drain also. Could this have happened because I left the charger plugged in long after it was fully charged because I was playing games on it? Is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?
  • JackE
    >>>I tried this and after few seconds both lights light up and become steady. I let it be like that for about a min and then turned on the laptop but it started to blink again and wasn't charging.>>>

NO!!! Please re-do the process. Do NOT try to turn the laptop on until the charge light turns from orange to blue. This will take several hours. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp
    anshulsp Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hasith said:
    JackE said:
    I tried this and after few seconds both lights light up and become steady. I let it be like that for about a min and then turned on the laptop but it started to blink again and wasn't charging.
    I haven't left the battery to drain also. Could this have happened because I left the charger plugged in long after it was fully charged because I was playing games on it? Is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?
    A quick query did this solution work for you.
    I too have Acer Aspire 5 53RP, and i purchased it in 2018. I had this same issue so initially i disabled Nvidia Card from Device Manager. But it didnt actually solve the problem, though helped a bit. But now recently its all the time.
    I just cant charge my laptop while i am working on it. Like even if i open chrome it starts to do this, beep sounds and then continuous blinking. I have to shutdown charge and then use it.
    What can be the reason for this problem. Initially it was while playing games, that too on basic settings but now its all the time.

P.S. Recently i generated batteryreport and my battery's wear level is 24%. Do i need a battery replacement and will it solve the issue.
  • anshulsp

Tinkerer

@JackE
    anshulsp said:
    Hasith said:
    JackE said:
    A quick query did this solution work for you.
    I too have Acer Aspire 5 53RP, and i purchased it in 2018. I had this same issue so initially i disabled Nvidia Card from Device Manager. But it didnt actually solve the problem, though helped a bit. But now recently its all the time.
    I just cant charge my laptop while i am working on it. Like even if i open chrome it starts to do this, beep sounds and then continuous blinking. I have to shutdown charge and then use it.
    What can be the reason for this problem. Initially it was while playing games, that too on basic settings but now its all the time.

P.S. Recently i generated batteryreport and my battery's wear level is 24%. Do i need a battery replacement and will it solve the issue.
    Please help, thank you and sorry for ping
  • JackE
    Let's see this battery report. Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Let's see this battery report. Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Also, since you are at it, so what happens is, sometimes while its on AC i can feel electric vibrations through the body of laptop. Problem is after plug in -> beep ->charging -> beep -> no charging and then infinite loop of orange blue lights blinking.
  • JackE
    >>>sometimes while its on AC i can feel electric vibrations through the body of laptop>>>

Battery seems OK. But the charger isn't. There should be no AC leakage or tingling sensations when plugged in. Either the charger DC output is no longer isolated from the AC mains, or the AC mains are not properly grounded or polarized. Try another AC mains outlet preferrably on another circuit or another house. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>sometimes while its on AC i can feel electric vibrations through the body of laptop>>>

Battery seems OK. But the charger isn't. There should be no AC leakage or tingling sensations when plugged in. Either the charger DC output is no longer isolated from the AC mains, or the AC mains are not properly grounded or polarized. Try another AC mains outlet preferrably on another circuit or another house. Jack E/NJ
    Well to be honest i was typing that initially and then i thought maybe its due to this places' irritating voltage fluctuation. 
    I actually do feel those tingling sensations and its almost everywhere be it my university hostel, my actually home or this place i am stuck in due to corona. If this mean AC leakage what will be the solution for that.

Also thank you very much i have been trying to get the answers and no one was helpful.
  • JackE
    Does you AC charger plug have two or three prongs? If only two, can you flip them 180* into the mains socket? This will usually remove the AC tingling if the charger is leaking 50-60Hz frequencies. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

My AC charger have three prongs.
    So does it mean that there's issue with the motherboard?
  • JackE
    No, not the mainboard. The AC leakage is still coming from either the charger or the wall socket. Do you have a multimeter? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

Sorry for delayed response.
    Yeah have arranged one, tell me what all do I have to test and I will update you further with the readings.
  • JackE
    With the laptop plugged in, check for any AC voltage between a sink water pipe and a metal part of the laptop or wherever you feel tingling sensation. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    With the laptop plugged in, check for any AC voltage between a sink water pipe and a metal part of the laptop or wherever you feel tingling sensation. Jack E/NJ
    What is a "sink water pipe"?
    Is that the bronze colored pipe thing that can be seen running over the fan and through the board, from bottom of the laptop.
  • JackE
    Sorry, no. I meant a lavatory or bathroom or kitchen sink with a faucet to use as a ground. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

Ok so i took reading across the surface of my laptop and faucet, 3-4 times, and voltage ranged up to 2.56V (max that i saw on meter).
  • JackE
    Now remove the charger. Now what do you get for AC voltage between the laptop and faucet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anshulsp

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Now remove the charger. Now what do you get for AC voltage between the laptop and faucet? Jack E/NJ
    Yes so, when charger is connected - voltage across laptop and faucet is variable between 2.5-4.6V
    But as soon as i am removing the charger there is no voltage across the laptop and faucet and meter reads 0V.
  • anshulsp

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Also now my laptop is not even charging when it's shutdown. The orange charging light remains stable for 5 seconds after which both orange and blue light start to blink with 6-7sec on 6-7sec off duration.
    I guess I should just give it to some center.
    This laptop has been such a pain I swear.