Which SSD M2 I can put on Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-51D3

2»

Answers

• wisconsin1
    wisconsin1 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Olariu said:
    I write this because I think is good for everybudy to know . I put in my laptop , Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-51D3 , the second hard drive SSD M2 PCIe 3.0x4 and the laptop is work very good . The windows 10 is start in approximate 12 second , the big applications is open quickly . The SSD is Western Digital black , 256 GB , M2 , PCIe 3.0x4 , 2280 (https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html) . In the laptop don't exist screw to fix the SSD but I used one screw from the HDD drive .
    Can you offer me any help.  How did you get windows to recognize the installed M2 SSD?  I've installed this same M2 SSD but windows doesn't recognize the drive anywhere.  It shows up under information when I go into BIOS but I don't see anything else in BIOS that gives me the ability to enable the M2 drive.  
  • Rajeshjaz
    Rajeshjaz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Does A515-51G-52ZR model have M.2 slot??
  • Rajeshjaz
    Rajeshjaz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

anyone have installed M.2 SSD in this model. I am planning to upgrade to ssd for booting and the already available HDD for my datas. anyone tried this, please suggest
  • Peuzenhu
    Peuzenhu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Olariu said:
    I write this because I think is good for everybudy to know . I put in my laptop , Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-51D3 , the second hard drive SSD M2 PCIe 3.0x4 and the laptop is work very good . The windows 10 is start in approximate 12 second , the big applications is open quickly . The SSD is Western Digital black , 256 GB , M2 , PCIe 3.0x4 , 2280 (https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html) . In the laptop don't exist screw to fix the SSD but I used one screw from the HDD drive .
    Can you offer me any help.  How did you get windows to recognize the installed M2 SSD?  I've installed this same M2 SSD but windows doesn't recognize the drive anywhere.  It shows up under information when I go into BIOS but I don't see anything else in BIOS that gives me the ability to enable the M2 drive.  
    Rajeshjaz said:
    Does A515-51G-52ZR model have M.2 slot??
    @Wincosin To bios recognize the ssd giu will need pitt enable interface sata 2 at BIOS config.

@rajeshjaz yes, i have an ssd m.2 on my laptop.

See my video of installation.
    https://youtu.be/LPh3tnIa35U
  • bryanok
    bryanok Member Posts: 2 New User
    Please can anyone confirm that acer aspire 5 a515 works with a ssd m2 nvme?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    bryanok said:
    Please can anyone confirm that acer aspire 5 a515 works with a ssd m2 nvme?
    Hi,
    Yes, I have installed a NVMe SSD in my A515-51.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/540554/acer-aspire-5-a515-51g-58gi-adding-ssd-samsung-960-evo-series-250gb-pcie-nvme
  • ace_aara16
    ace_aara16 Member Posts: 2 New User
    hi im considering on upgrading my acer to the ssd m2 drive. but im not sure how to move my windows OS from the hdd to the new one. can any one how me how?
  • akash1994
    akash1994 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @WeeveSter Could you please visit other manufacturers' forums and you will find many instances of this type of query(regarding the speed of NVMe SSD).

does aspire 5 A515-51G-59AT (with intel i5-8250u, 8gb ram, 2TB hard drive and Nvidia MX130 2GB graphics card stocked with laptop at the time of buying)  support M.2 ssd which use PCIe port and compatible with NVMe? what is the max capacity of ssd for this model? hoping to have a clear answer, Sir. In so much confusion right now. thanks in advance.

• INORS394
    INORS394 Member Posts: 10 New User
    brummyfan2 said: WeeveSter said: I'm considering doing this but I want to know if my laptop supports the PCI-Express 3.0 x4 m2. I read another thread where a guy said it only supported x2 or two lanes, so slower than what you'd pay for. My laptop is
    Aspire A515-51

Hi,
    Yes, you can boot from a M.2 NVMe SSD in this model, it will use 2lanes and run at half the advertised speed but still 3x the speed of a SATA SSD. The form factor is M2 2280( 22mm Wx80mm L), for example:http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960evo/

I understand it makes no sense for me to buy ssd PCI-Express 3.0 x4, is it enough to install ssd with PCI-Express 3.0 x2 technology? (my laptop - A515-51G). Will SSD PCI-Express 3.0 x4 acquisition be a waste of money ? 
  • INORS394
    INORS394 Member Posts: 10 New User
    brummyfan2 said: Hi,
    Yes, the motherboard is capable of PCIe3.0x4 but it is reduced to 2 lanes to minimise the heat it generates, as you are aware that the laptops are limited in space compared to Desktops, so most of the laptops will be limited to operate at 2lanes.

In this case, does it make sense to buy ssd 
     PCIe3.0x4, or is it enough  PCIe3.0x2? Will buying  PCIe3.0x4 be a waste of money?
  • brummyfan2
    INORS394 said:
    brummyfan2 said:
    Hi,
    Yes, the motherboard is capable of PCIe3.0x4 but it is reduced to 2 lanes to minimise the heat it generates, as you are aware that the laptops are limited in space compared to Desktops, so most of the laptops will be limited to operate at 2lanes.

In this case, does it make sense to buy ssd  PCIe3.0x4, or is it enough  PCIe3.0x2? Will buying  PCIe3.0x4 be a waste of money?
    Yes, that's true but buying a PCIe3.0x4 is better because the price difference may be small and you can always use it on another new laptop in future.

• nazhan36
    nazhan36 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello,
    I want to know my laptop Aspire 5 A515-51G-50AC support SSD M2 n PCIE or not
  • brummyfan2
    nazhan36 said:
    Hello,
    I want to know my laptop Aspire 5 A515-51G-50AC support SSD M2 n PCIE or not
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537125/install-m2-ssd-on-aspire-5-a515-51g
  • 4umahin
    4umahin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello,
    I have Acer Aspire A515-51G-5072 laptop with NVidia MX-150 GC. I have 2 questions:
    1. What is the maximum capacity of NVME ssd I can install? I am planning to upgrade my system with samsung evo 970 plus nvme 1TB model. Will the laptop support this?

2.What is the maximum SODIMM ram it can support? Currently it has 8GB and I believe out of 8GB 4GB will be soldered to MB and remaining 4GB can be upgraded to higher. For this I am planning Kingston hyperX 8gb ram.

Please support as I am desperately looking for the answers.

• brummyfan2
    4umahin said:
    Hello,
    I have Acer Aspire A515-51G-5072 laptop with NVidia MX-150 GC. I have 2 questions:
    1. What is the maximum capacity of NVME ssd I can install? I am planning to upgrade my system with samsung evo 970 plus nvme 1TB model. Will the laptop support this?

2.What is the maximum SODIMM ram it can support? Currently it has 8GB and I believe out of 8GB 4GB will be soldered to MB and remaining 4GB can be upgraded to higher. For this I am planning Kingston hyperX 8gb ram.

Please support as I am desperately looking for the answers.

Hi,
    You can upgrade up to 512GB as successful installation reported  by other members but 1TB may work but another member going to try, so need to watch this thread:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537125/install-m2-ssd-on-aspire-5-a515-51g/p9
    As for the memory, you can upgrade up to 16GB in the slot to make a total of 20GB maximum in your model, Kingston HyperX may or may not work, I would suggest you to go for Kingston value RAM or similar simple RAM.
  • SubhaCBI
    SubhaCBI Member Posts: 3 New User
    I'm Using Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G 50UW. Itried to install a new WD 240GB M.2 SSD and found one screw is there which supports the SSD after installation it on the motherboard. I can't unscrew it as it is very small, please someone guide me which type of screw driver do I need to buy? I'm attaching the snap of the SSD slot and the screw tightened on it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Cross (phillips or JIS) screwdriver #0 should fit it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Yurii
    Yurii Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello!
    I have acer aspire 5 a515-51g (core i5-8250U, MX150, 1T HDD). Can i install Apacer AS2280P2 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 ssd in this laptop?