In Bios I changed from switchable to discrete in Aspire 5745g and saved after restart no display

Akinos
Akinos Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
In Bios I changed from switchable to discrete in Aspire 5745g  and saved after restart no display , tried to reset cmos by disconecting cmos battery,  tried Hdmi to external monitor, tried with vga cable to external monitor  but of no use 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Disconnect the CMOS coin cell again. Then short its mainboard terminals for a few seconds. The button it back up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack e Tried to short several times but of no use,  except display caps on num lock everything is working also tried Hdmi again Still no display, since we have lock down due to  corona virus I can't take it out for repair 
  • JackE
    OK. Try this sequence.

(1) Shut machine completely off again.
    (2) Press and hold F2 key.
    (3) While still holding F2 key, turn machine on. Keep holding the F2 key for about 5 seconds after turning on.
    (4) Then release the F2 key and firmly press the F9 key one time.
    (5) Then release the F9 key and firmly press the F10 key one time.
    (6) Then release the F10 key and firmly press the ENTER key one time.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer

First of all thanks JackE I tried that sequence several times but of no use till now,  I know by following that sequence we are trying to go to default settings.
    Till now no luck 

• JackE
    >>> In Bios I changed from switchable to discrete in Aspire 5745g>>>
    Back to the beginning. Do you recall the BIOS version number? Did you download from this site https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/2128?b=1.
    BIOS v1.11 apparently addresses an issue with the discrete adapter. We may have to try a FN+ESC cold boot flash from a USB stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer

Thanks JackE I tried above sequence but of no use, it has not helped.
    Finally again I tried to short cmos noticed that the screw driver tip was not proper,  I changed screw driver and tried to short it again  it worked for me. 
    Final conclusion is  shorting pins by disconecting cmos battery worked now display is working
    Thanks to JackE once again for your continued support. 👌 
  • JackE
    What sequence? Exactly what did you try to do? The FN+ESC cold boot technique is quite involved? Where did you get this info? What FD file did you try to use. And what filename did you give it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer

Fn+Esc I downloaded bios 1.8 in pen drive and connected to USB port 
  • Akinos

Tinkerer

Now it is up and running 
  • JackE
    If you put the zip or exe file directly on to the pen drive, it won't work.  And there is no 1.8 version for your laptop. Where are you getting this information?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer

Bios_Acer_1.18_AA  zip file I have not extracted it,  as I didn't realize that it should be extracted, thanks for information 
  • JackE
    >>>Now it is up and running  >>>

What do you mean up and running. Do you have a screen again or not? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer

Display is on, it is showing display screen 
  • JackE
    So everything is OK now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Akinos

Tinkerer