Upgrading Ram Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-78VW

MatePrsk
MatePrsk Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-78VW laptop, what has a Intel Core i7-7500U 2.7Ghz processor with turbo boost up to 3.5Ghz. I have in it a 8 GB DDR4 ram, and I want to ask if that if I want to upgrade the ram since I have two slots, can I add another one with 16 GB or I need to add another one with 8 GB? My specifications say I can add up to 32 GB. But I was reading some discussions that if I have an 8 GB stick, I shouldn't add another one with different size but I should stick to another 8 GB. But Since I work with big software to illustrate, I would really like to add 16 GB if it's possible.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,083 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a 16GB module to upgrade but you will not be able to utilise the dual channel mode due to the size difference, however, more RAM is better, in my opinion.
  • MatePrsk
    MatePrsk Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a 16GB module to upgrade but you will not be able to utilise the dual channel mode due to the size difference, however, more RAM is better, in my opinion.
    Thanks,
    In the end I decided to buy another 8Gb only. But my other question is, that how I know what kind of ram should I buy? I figured out, that i have to look at the frequency, so after a long time I found out how to do so, so now I know. But there is another thing, products have different "cl" numbers. That also matters? If yes, can I get an exact kind of ram model of 8Gb what is good for my pc?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,083 Trailblazer
    No problem, try to get a module with matching CL value because it will give you an optimal performance, if not, get a module with as closer value as possible.