Is it possible to replace DVD drive on GX-281?

Schick
Schick Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Is it possible to replace the DVD drive in my GX-281 EB11? DVD discs sound bad when spinning, and some sound horrible, even audible to others in another room, despite the door to the office being closed. Reading is intermittent. It is in the device manager and only partially working in Windows Explorer. I tested numerous working DVD discs.

I have swapped DVD devices before, but they were all the usual flat-fronted units, and not with the elegant curved front of the present DVD drive. A typical drive will look silly as a replacement. Is it even possible to get an OEM drive anywhere?

It sucks that I barely used the device until after the warranty period.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    First, try and look for the OEM DVD of the GX-281 on eBay etc, then and if you can't, buy a generic DVD drive but, make sure that you measure the GX-281's DVD drive width and height to be sure that its a generic DVD that is used or its a not a special DVD drive that is used only on the GX-281, which it shouldn't be! Then remove and swap the curved GX-281's DVD facia cover (see caption below) as there are clips that hold that cover into place on the front, which should be very easy to snap open, then swap it to the new curved GX-281's DVD cover, simple! 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, it's not too bad. It's a slimline drive, so double check the SATA connection. Some of the newer drives use a smaller connector for the ODDs than the older style. Reuse your old front bezel, that's the only thing custom.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Schick
    Schick Member Posts: 2 New User
    StevenGen said:
    First, try and look for the OEM DVD of the GX-281 on eBay etc, then and if you can't, buy a generic DVD drive but, make sure that you measure the GX-281's DVD drive width and height to be sure that its a generic DVD that is used or its a not a special DVD drive that is used only on the GX-281, which it shouldn't be! Then remove and swap the curved GX-281's DVD facia cover (see caption below) as there are clips that hold that cover into place on the front, which should be very easy to snap open, then swap it to the new curved GX-281's DVD cover, simple! 

I had no idea I could remove the facia and place it on a replacement. I also did not even think to consider it was a slimline drive. I would rather have an internal as a replacement, as th externals are so ***** slow.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    Yep and looking at that photo, it looks like a slimline DVD drive just like the laptops have, all these drives and their covers are removable, so in your case, that curved facia can be removed and transferred to the new DVD drive!