Swift Laptop will not connect to HP printer over wifi.

Lauren67
Lauren67 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone. Just got a Swift  (SF114-32) laptop and while I managed to connect to my HP printer (Envy 4500) with USB, it cannot find it over wifi. Searched everywhere for support but can't find anything. Stopped Norton security in case it was affecting it etc...still can't get them to connect. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Is the printer successfully connected to the network? What address is the printer at? Are you connected to your main wireless or to a guest network?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lauren67
    Hi Billsey. Thanks for your reply.
    Yes my computer shows that it is. However on the printers wireless network test result printout it gives me a different IP address than my computer. Is this normal? I tried doing it manually then by inputting both my computer's IP address and the printer's address at diffeent times. But it could not connect. Both are connected to my wifi and the identical one (ie. I have 2 from my router, a regular one and a 5G one). I can actually see the printer on my laptop when it is not connected by USB in my wifi networks, but connecting this way also fails. 
  • Lauren67

My apologies Billsey, clicked the wrong button. Meant to click like not answered. Only a newbie here. Oops!
  • billsey
    NP, I can always use more bennies. :)
    Each device on your network should have it's own IP address, so it's perfectly normal to have the printer on one and the laptop on another. They should both be on the same subnet however. So, if your laptop is at 192.168.0.4 and the printer is at 169.254.16.238 they won't be able to talk with each other. What addresses are assigned to each?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lauren67
    Billsey,  I am not sure what you mean when you ask what are they assigned to? Do you want me to give you my IP addresses for both? sorry, learning as I go and starting from scratch! Thank you for your help!
  • billsey
    Yes, what addresses are being used by the laptop and the printer?