Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 Fan doesn`t slow down after gaming session

cemden
cemden Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I have an issue with the cooling of my Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 with Core i5 9300H and GTX 1650. It's been 2 days since i have bought this laptop.
Anyway, I have an issue with the fan speed - I have the Coolboost turned on. When I start gaming, the fans will obviously speed up - that is fine. But after I stop gaming, the fans will never get back to the idle speed of around 2300-2500 RPM even after the CPU and GPU have cooled down. Instead the fan speed will stay at around 3900-4100 RPM with temperatures below 50°C and it is quite loud and annoying. Turning the Coolboost off and on will slow down the fans to the normal idle speed of around 2300 RPM but it is only a temporary fix (after gaming the fans will get stuck in 4000 RPM territory again). Can you help me, because i am not sure whether it is hardware or software ?

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,295 Pathfinder
    cemden said:
    Hello, I have an issue with the cooling of my Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 with Core i5 9300H and GTX 1650. It's been 2 days since i have bought this laptop.
    Anyway, I have an issue with the fan speed - I have the Coolboost turned on. When I start gaming, the fans will obviously speed up - that is fine. But after I stop gaming, the fans will never get back to the idle speed of around 2300-2500 RPM even after the CPU and GPU have cooled down. Instead the fan speed will stay at around 3900-4100 RPM with temperatures below 50°C and it is quite loud and annoying. Turning the Coolboost off and on will slow down the fans to the normal idle speed of around 2300 RPM but it is only a temporary fix (after gaming the fans will get stuck in 4000 RPM territory again). Can you help me, because i am not sure whether it is hardware or software ?
    Updating bios may help you like others.
    Update your bios
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • cemden
    I feel like the fan makes too much noise while gaming and also on idle and it takes too much time for fans to slow down to idle speed. This is from idle. Is it normal
  • GAMING6698
    cemden said:
    I feel like the fan makes too much noise while gaming and also on idle and it takes too much time for fans to slow down to idle speed. This is from idle. Is it normal
    First update your bios

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Those fan speed are within norms for your model at a fluctuating idle, see chart below for Fan 1. It takes a while for the fan speed to come down to the current temperature as it not only cools the CPU but also senses the heat in surrounding surfaces and idle fluctuates. Remember gaming laptops are not like an average laptop, they have high performance hardware producing heat, packed into a small space so the fans run faster than a regular laptop. I suggest you take your fans of Auto and use Max while gaming and then when temps have cooled down try Auto or a custom setting of around 2800 for routine tasking

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• cemden
    This is while gaming, according to the table it is faster than normal. Do you think that there can be a defect on fans, the pc is new so i dont want to update the bios.
  • What is the version bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cemden
    The bios version is 1.23

• GAMING6698
    cemden said:
    The bios version is 1.23

I already told you to update your bios.
    If your issue still not solve then we can do futher steps 

Bios v1.23 is outdated and latest version is v1.28

• cemden
    Okay but the laptop is 3 days old. So if it has a faulty fan or something. wouldn"t it void the warranty ? and also when i dont touch the keyboards lights switch off. Is it also because of outdated bios
  • GAMING6698
    cemden said:
    Okay but the laptop is 3 days old. So if it has a faulty fan or something. wouldn"t it void the warranty ? and also when i dont touch the keyboards lights switch off. Is it also because of outdated bios
    I didn't think warranty will void and keyboard lights are turn off after 30sec this is normal if you want to turn on lights permanent then go to nitrosense and check keyboard settings.

If nothing helps like after updating bios then visit nearest acer service centre 

• In addition, the n18p-g62b is an update for your gtx1650 graphics card. So there is no problem in updating the bios.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Update your BIOS, Acer ships models with a BIOS that was current at the time of manufacture, not at the time of shipping, yours is now out of date, you only need the latest one it contains all other updates. Your keyboard backlight will go off after 30 seconds, it is an energy saver feature and a backlight on off option is being rolled out as a BIOS update. Some models have a keyboard backlight option in Nitrosense under the settings tab

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• RayHowell
    RayHowell Member Posts: 2 New User
    cemden said:
    This is while gaming, according to the table it is faster than normal. Do you think that there can be a defect on fans, the pc is new so i dont want to update the bios.
    ALWAYS update the BIOS.  ESPECIALLY with at new computer/motherboard.  When devices are created and someone writes software to make it work, sometimes they make mistakes.  Sometimes the mistakes are found one minute after the computers have been packaged for shipment, sometimes it happens with the first 100 units sold, all the customers are calling in with the same problem, other times it takes years.  It is impractical to unpack all those computers and fix the problem.  The solution is to release an updated BIOS (Basic In/Out System) so that the computer works properly.  If there is going to only be one time that you update the BIOS it should be as soon as you discover there is an update on a brand new device!!!  The manufacturer of whichever component is not working properly is best served by providing the correction as soon as possible, and the customer is best served by installing the updated information so they do not experience any adverse effects.  I am curious as to why you would think putting off a BIOS update is a good thing for you?  If the computer works fine without the BIOS update, why would the manufacturer go to all the time, trouble, and expense of producing an update?