Changing HDD to SSD bit windows won't boot or shut down? HELP PLZ

HRVPictures
HRVPictures Member Posts: 60

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi, 

I have installed Windows 10 on my new SSD and done all the driver and windows updates but when it is support to shut down or restart it doesn't do it properly and i have to do it manually. 

- When I am trying to install the windows form a boo-table USB (downloaded from Microsoft website) the system won't restart by itself and it just looks it is freezed. I have to restart the system manually (meaning I have to Shut Down by pressing the bottom and put the system on again). then again it gets back to the point it was before and carries on! 

when the installation is finished the system runs perfectly until I want to shut down or restart it. Then again the same scenario. I have to restart the system once or a few times to get it loaded completely. 

I have done all the possible solutions (found on internet) but none works. 

Could it be something wrong with the SSD itself? 

NOTE: the windows works fine when I am connecting the old HDD drive but just a bit slower. 

Many thanks in advance 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Instead of using generic Win10, you should try cloning or migrating the ACER Win10 on the old HDD onto the SSD using a USB-2-SSD adapter. Or you could try using DriverBooster or similar freeware driver tools to see if they can pick up any additional drivers that may be needed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Instead of using generic Win10, you should try cloning or migrating the ACER Win10 on the old HDD onto the SSD using a USB-2-SSD adapter. Or you could try using DriverBooster or similar freeware driver tools to see if they can pick up any additional drivers that may be needed. Jack E/NJ
    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for your respond. I did try using migrating option but it fails to read the disk once at 91% and after traying a few time it got to 97% , with th error no:1117 . 

Is there any other thing I can do? 

Many thanks 

• JackE
    What cloning/migration tool are you trying to use? Is it from a live boot stick? Or from inside Windows? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What cloning/migration tool are you trying to use? Is it from a live boot stick? Or from inside Windows? Jack E/NJ
    I use Acronis Disk Director from inside windows?
  • JackE
    >>>when the installation is finished the system runs perfectly until I want to shut down or restart it.>>>

Is this still the case? The SSD runs perfectly as long as you don't shutdown & restart? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>when the installation is finished the system runs perfectly until I want to shut down or restart it.>>>

Is this still the case? The SSD runs perfectly as long as you don't shutdown & restart? Jack E/NJ
    Not really! When i am installing the windows and when it does the restarting it stops at a blue screen and then i have to restart it manually again (shut down and on again) 
    then every time it needs to restart, it won’t boot . I have to turn it off and on till i get to the windows . But again no shut down or restart /boot easily (normal). 
    Could it be that the system cannot handle SSD?! 
    I’ve even upgraded the rams from 4 to 8 , however it was the same scenario before as well. 
  • JackE
    >>>I have to turn it off and on till i get to the windows . >>>

This doesn't bother me. My question is --- Do you ever get into Windows? I don't care how you got there and that it wasn't normal. And once your into Windows, does it run perfectly before you shutdown or restart or reboot?

At this point, I'm not really concerned about it not shutting down, rebooting or restarting perfectly. I just want to know if Windows runs OK while you're actually into Windows?    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I have to turn it off and on till i get to the windows . >>>

This doesn't bother me. My question is --- Do you ever get into Windows? I don't care how you got there and that it wasn't normal. And once your into Windows, does it run perfectly before you shutdown or restart or reboot?

At this point, I'm not really concerned about it not shutting down, rebooting or restarting perfectly. I just want to know if Windows runs OK while you're actually into Windows?    Jack E/NJ
    Hi Jack

yes if I can ever get to windows, it does work. However the last time I couldn’t get into window and I gave up trying anymore. 
  • JackE
    OK. Do you still have the generic Win10 installation stick? We must try to boot from that stick again. Then choose the advanced options menu. We want to try to get to an option called the command prompt. The command prompt will appear as a black screen with white letters, X : \ >. This is called the X command prompt. If we can get to the X command prompt, then we can proceed to try to fix the corrupted software boot files of the SSD so that Windows will boot normally.  But we first must get to the X command prompt. Jack E//NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Do you still have the generic Win10 installation stick? We must try to boot from that stick again. Then choose the advanced options menu. We want to try to get to an option called the command prompt. The command prompt will appear as a black screen with white letters, X : \ >. This is called the X command prompt. If we can get to the X command prompt, then we can proceed to try to fix the corrupted software boot files of the SSD so that Windows will boot normally.  But we first must get to the X command prompt. Jack E//NJ
    I downloaded the windows from internet and made a bootable USB then install the fresh windows on the SSD. I actually tried to new SSDs different brands but same issue for both. I even made a recover USB file from one of the times I had installed the windows. however I have formatted everything on the SSDs. 
    Should I reinstall the windows again and then go to the command prompt option and the take the next steps to fix? everything should be start new in this case. 

P.s: I know the command prompt option. :) 

Many thanks
  • JackE
    edited March 2020
    Yes. Re-install. But it would be preferable to use the Microsoft media creation tool to make a new Win10  installation on another stick. Don't use the same stick over again since there could be an issue with the stick. And if you have more than one USB port, use another port. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes. Re-install. But it would be preferable to use the Microsoft media creation tool to make a new Win10  installation on another stick. Don't use the same stick over again since there could be an issue with the stick. And if you have more than one USB port, use another port. Jack E/NJ
    I have jut downloaded a new fresh windows from microsoft and will shortly start the installation. As I am pretty sure the issue happens again, can you please let me know what would be the next step I need to take. bear in mind please that while the installation is in process and once the windows needs to restart the for the very beginning to do the rest, the windows goes on a blue screen and stop there. 
    thanks 
  • JackE
    That's fine. If it still blue screens, just shut it down completely again. Then boot it from the installation stick. Then go to the advanced options. Then choose the option that get us to the X command prompt. Then we go from there.

Don't try to jump ahead too far or anticipate problems that haven't happened yet. There commands we have to enter into the X prompt, one by one, to try to repair the boot files if indeed they need repairing again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    That's fine. If it still blue screens, just shut it down completely again. Then boot it from the installation stick. Then go to the advanced options. Then choose the option that get us to the X command prompt. Then we go from there.

Don't try to jump ahead too far or anticipate problems that haven't happened yet. There commands we have to enter into the X prompt, one by one, to try to repair the boot files if indeed they need repairing again. Jack E/NJ
    I did the installation and what I had anticipated happened. I shut down the laptop and on it again but it went to finalising the installation. again it the screen went black and I turn t off and on again but this time it is now to the final steps where the corotana pups up for the final settings completion.
    I have completed the installation and on the windows home screen now. 

I tried to shut down the laptop but only the screen went black and system was still working! I did it manually and turned it on again but stuck at the a blue screen with the windows logo and frozen loading circle dots! 

whats the next step now please? 

thanks 
  • JackE
    Shut it down completely again. Then boot it from the installation stick. Then go to the advanced options. Then choose the option that get us to the X command prompt. Then we go from there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Shut it down completely again. Then boot it from the installation stick. Then go to the advanced options. Then choose the option that get us to the X command prompt. Then we go from there. Jack E/NJ

It doesn't let me to go through bios options anymore! also the screen stuck at this stage(attached photo)!?? any idea what's going on? I did try a few time no luck! 
  • HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:

It doesn't let me to go through bios options anymore! also the screen stuck at this stage(attached photo)!?? any idea what's going on? I did try a few time no luck! 

• JackE
    Shut the machine completely off again by pressing and holding the power button for at least 5 seconds. Insert the USB installation stick into another USB port. Then press and hold the F2 button. While still holding the F2 button, press the power button to turn the machine on. The BIOS menu should appear. Make sure the F12 boot option is enabled. Then save BIOS settings and exit and immediately press and hold the F12 key. A menu should appear to let you boot from the USB stick. Boot from the USB stick. You're looking for Advanced options, not bios options. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Shut the machine completely off again by pressing and holding the power button for at least 5 seconds. Insert the USB installation stick into another USB port. Then press and hold the F2 button. While still holding the F2 button, press the power button to turn the machine on. The BIOS menu should appear. Make sure the F12 boot option is enabled. Then save BIOS settings and exit and immediately press and hold the F12 key. A menu should appear to let you boot from the USB stick. Boot from the USB stick. You're looking for Advanced options, not bios options. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks again for your help.

I did try a few times but couldn't get into bios or anything else the same scenario happens each time. it goes to the repairing mood straight away! 

the f2 option is not there any more. 
  • JackE
    Were you pressing & holding the F2 key BEFORE you tried to push the power button? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ