Would it be possible to install an extra fan to my pre-built?

ardamumcu
ardamumcu Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I have an issue with frame drops playing some games, and wanted to ask if it would be possible to install a supplementary fan as a solution? I use a Predator G3-710, i hear whirring sounds coming from the case and the lag spikes have been happening ever since 3 days.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,651 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, fans use very little power.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Sure, there should be mounting holes at the back of the case and power for it on the MB. #15 in this diagram.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ardamumcu
    billsey said:
    Sure, there should be mounting holes at the back of the case and power for it on the MB. #15 in this diagram.

Thanks billsey,
    Would my PSU by default be sufficient for an extra fan?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, fans use very little power.
  • ardamumcu
    Thanks again, i really appreciate it. While I’m at it, I had another question to ask. I found out lately that my pc had 4 Ram slots, two of which that are in use. Both of those Ram sticks are 8 gigabytes, but if i could purchase 2 16 gigabyte sticks, 
    Would i still be able to use the old sticks in the same pc or would there be an issue of compatibility? Do all the sticks have to be the same memory and add up to 16, 32 or 64?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    Firstly, It depends on which  Predator G3-710 that you have? And also make sure that you "DO NOT" exceed Acers supported memory capacity for your Predator G3-710 model! 

There are 6 models and the Predator G3-710 (which you said that you have) has a Max of 16GB capacity, so 2 x 8GB RAM is the max that you can have installed, this also applies to the Predator G3 AG3-710 – 16GB! 

The other Predators e.g. Predator G3-710-UC11 – 64GB, Predator G3-710-UR11 – 64GB, Predator G3-710-UR15 – 64GB and the Predator G3-710-UR14 – 64GB all have a max capacity of 64GB! 

Use GPUz to determine your existing RAM at "Memory" and "SPD" sections of CPUz. Usually its best to have the same size RAM with the same brand, model, speed and latency. The Predator G3-710 functions best on DDR4 PC4-21300 • CL=19 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2666 • 1.2V type RAM. Which should be your OEM RAM? Don't mix different sizes and speeds as the slower speed will always be the factor of how your RAM speed works.

• ardamumcu
    edited March 2020
    Hi Steven, my Predator is actually one of the newly-made ones, equipped with a gtx 1080 graphics card and also an intel i7 processor. However I couldnt determine the specific details of the model, so I assume it has a capacity of 64 Gigabytes. Thanks for your reply. Could you please check out the model sticker I attached in order to help me find the specifications?

[SN and SNID edited by moderator  -  Acer-karp]

• billsey
    Yes, your model has the 7th gen processor in it, so the newer motherboard. Yours supports up to 64GB of memory. As long as you use the same speed as what you have now (2400MHz) you should have no problem even with two 8GB and two 16GB for 48GB total. If you do that configuration put the 16GB models into slots 1 & 2 and the 8GB into slots 3 & 4.