Can I up my GPU Memory/Ram? ("Unsupported Video Driver" Error)

serane
serane Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, 

this question might have been asked somewhere else before but since I know very little about computers I wouldn't even be able to tell or know how to proceed from there having a different laptop.
I'm trying to work with Adobe Premiere/After Effects which have been showing a "System Compatibility Report" for a while saying that my Video Drivers aren't supported anymore. However they are on the latest update. Most small projects in AE worked fine. But I just got another error message that I don't have enough GPU memory to execute an effect - which led me to the assumption that I should upgrade my RAM (from 4GB to 8GB if I'm seeing correctly?). Is that possible with my laptop? Does it even make sense? And if yes; which one is recommendable?

These are my specs:

Acer Aspire V3-772

BIOS
Version V1.13
Date 10/11/2013
MOTHERBOARD
Manufacturer Acer
Model VA70_HW
Version Type2 - Board Version
OPERATING SYSTEM
Edition Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Version (Build) 1903 (10.0.18362)

GRAPHICS

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

• Driver Details
  • ProviderNVIDIA
  • Version25.21.14.2531
  • Date9/4/2019
  • Device Details
  • Adapter CompatibilityNVIDIA
  • Video ProcessorGeForce GT 750M
  • Adapter DAC TypeIntegrated RAMDAC
  • Adapter RAM4.00 GB
  • AvailabilityOffline
  • StatusThis device is working properly.
  • LocationPCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
  • Device IdPCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_07811025&REV_A1\4&F9F1466&0&0008

Intel® HD Graphics 4600

• Driver Details
  • ProviderIntel Corporation
  • Version10.18.15.4248
  • Date4/8/2015
  • Device Details
  • Adapter CompatibilityIntel Corporation
  • Video ProcessorIntel® HD Graphics Family
  • Resolution1920 x 1080
  • Bits Per Pixel32
  • Number of Colors4294967296
  • Refresh Rate - Current60 Hz
  • Refresh Rate - Maximum60 Hz
  • Refresh Rate - Minimum60 Hz
  • Adapter DAC TypeInternal
  • Adapter RAM1.00 GB
  • AvailabilityRunning at full power
  • StatusThis device is working properly.
  • LocationPCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
  • Device IdPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_07811025&REV_06\3&11583659&0&10
(under Intel HD Graphics 4600 I get the following note (I'm not sure wether that's relevant):
"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact Acer for the latest driver for your computer."

Thank you so endlessly much in advance. Please speak baby-computer to me :)

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    In short NO you cannot upgrade VRAM, it is totally different to System RAM which iS upgradeable, VRAM chips are built into the GPU.
    Also the Acer drivers are the correct drivers for your Intel HD Graphics, the Intel generic driver won’t work because Intel have built and optimized the card for Acer.
    In general Adobe Premier is a demanding program and your hardware is at the very lower end of the minimum specs required. You can improve the amount of RAM shared with your GPU by upgrading your system RAM, Adobe say that should be 16gb minimum for HD editing

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    In short NO you cannot upgrade VRAM, it is totally different to System RAM which iS upgradeable, VRAM chips are built into the GPU.
    Also the Acer drivers are the correct drivers for your Intel HD Graphics, the Intel generic driver won’t work because Intel have built and optimized the card for Acer.
    In general Adobe Premier is a demanding program and your hardware is at the very lower end of the minimum specs required. You can improve the amount of RAM shared with your GPU by upgrading your system RAM, Adobe say that should be 16gb minimum for HD editing

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• serane
    Thank you so much for your quick answer!
    So it would be helpful to add RAM in my case? I've read that my laptop has several slots and a maximum capacity of 32gb RAM. Does that mean that I should by 1 - 3 RAM chips and build them in? can you recommend a seller who offers compatible chips?

Thanks heaps, serane.
  • serane
    Thanks a ton!!! You've been a blessing :)))
    Have a great day!
  • andylb
    It’s my pleasure

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★