DH5JV115.exe BIOS update tool won't start in Windows 10

CNXSoft
CNXSoft Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I own Acer Aspire A315-41G laptop with Ubuntu user, but the system is quite unstable, and recently the GPU driver keeps crashing apparently leading to loss of audio... So I'd like to update the BIOS to check if it can fix things. So I'm booting Windows 10 in a separate hard drive, and download the latest BIOS (v1.15) from the support page: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7600?b=1

I extracted the file and got DH5JV115.exe file. When I first click on it, I get some warning, but accept them all, and at it appears to launch I can see the mouse pointer with the loading logo for 2 or 3 second, but the Insyde windows never shows up. What could cause the issue? I've tried to launch the program in compatibility mode and as an administrator but it does not help. Windows Defender is also disabled. Thanks in advance

Answers

• Does the same problem occur with version 1.13?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CNXSoft
    Does the same problem occur with version 1.13?
    Yes, and with 1.11. I tried Udoo x86 tool and it could start (Insyde as well)
  • What version of windows is installed? x64 or x86? Is uefi mode active?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CNXSoft
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, BIOS Mode: UEFI based on info I got in msinfo32 (System Information)
  • OK! Have you tried to update the video card driver in linux?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CNXSoft
    OK! Have you tried to update the video card driver in linux?
    Yes. But no luck. I'd really like to update the BIOS though because I've read it would also fix ACPI which I have to disable now.
  • Doesn't this image appear?

Does the event viewer identify any errors? It is important to remember that the bios update procedure is extremely risky. You can also try to update the bios by updating the firmware driver:

The update of the bios, using the Acer file or the firmware driver, must be done with the battery 100% charged and with the power adapter connected.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CNXSoft
    Nothing appears at all when I launch the program.

I do have errors in the event viewer:
    Faulting application name: DH5JV115.exe, version: 4.57.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000<br>Faulting module name: DH5JV115.exe, version: 4.57.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000<br>Exception code: 0xc0000005<br>Fault offset: 0x0000000000042a4a<br>Faulting process id: 0x25c0<br>Faulting application start time: 0x01d5fca971f4eb76<br>Faulting application path: C:\Users\acer\Downloads\BIOS_Acer_1.15_A_A\DH5JV115.exe<br>Faulting module path: C:\Users\acer\Downloads\BIOS_Acer_1.15_A_A\DH5JV115.exe<br>Report Id: e5c5d364-4ab0-4c71-a75f-9e110c4a033d<br>Faulting package full name: <br>Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    But I had no idea it was possible to update the firmware with Device Manager. I've now at 1.15. Thank you! It's late here, so I'll check and report on my Ubuntu issue tomorrow.
  • OK! Post the result here. Yes, it is possible to update the bios via the firmware driver. However, it tends to be much more risky, as windows update usually updates this driver along with other updates.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CNXSoft
    Now, I can boot to Ubuntu without having to disable ACPI, so that's a plus. The graphics driver still crashes though, and I only have audio during the first two minutes. I can still use the computer since there are two graphics cards, just no audio. Anyway, the BIOS update issue is solved, and I suppose Ubuntu issues are probably be fixed via another community.
  • OK! Have you tried to reinstall ubuntu? Are you using version 19.10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer