Helios 500 PH517-51 - randomly drops refresh rate from 144 to 60.

AZZIZ
AZZIZ Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 2020 in Predator Laptops
I have a very weird and annoying problem, my laptop display drops refresh from 144 to 60, and when I go to the Nvidia control panel its says its on 144 and when I try to set it to 60 the screen just blacks out and I have to wait for it to come back on (as of the refresh rate not supported)

The problem is so annoying that it made me reinstall windows and its still here, reinstalling drivers with DDU also didn't help.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Helios 500 PH517-51

Best Answers

• Emodz
    Emodz Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    AZZIZ said:
    Emodz said:
    I went back to 441.41 I'll do some testing and see if the refresh stays at 144.  
    Best of luck it did for me but didn't do that much of testing as I got a new monitor anyway. but please keep me posted.
    Using those older drivers the problem went away. After several days of testing the issues never returned on the older drivers.  So there's definitely something up with the drivers that came out in 2020
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    AZZIZ said:
    Emodz said:
    Hey Azziz I thought you might want to know they finally are aware of this issue, I noticed in the latest driver notes:
    Windows 10 Only [Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]
    Now its listed as still an outstanding issue but at least we know they know about it and can probably expect a fix finally soon.

Great news!!
    thank you for this hopefully wont take them long

just a heads up the 452.06 driver seems to be working for me,

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    AZZIZ so your issue according to what you just described the refresh rate just drops itself ???? or youre trying to run the display at 60hz instead of 144hz as it was designed to im just wondering anyway if i were you i would probably run at 120hz as the majority of gamers find that its pretty stable regarding fps and theres no big difference between 120 and 144 you can try 2 things first its a battery power drain followed by a bios setup defaults and the second its a stock recovery clean install to rule out completely any software issues (backup whatever you need first) and disable windows from updating drivers/firmware hope any of this helps if after a clan install the issue persists i would probably point to the display itself and contact acer support directly 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• AZZIZ
    edited January 2020
    xapim said:
    AZZIZ so your issue according to what you just described the refresh rate just drops itself ???? or youre trying to run the display at 60hz instead of 144hz as it was designed to im just wondering anyway if i were you i would probably run at 120hz as the majority of gamers find that its pretty stable regarding fps and theres no big difference between 120 and 144 you can try 2 things first its a battery power drain followed by a bios setup defaults and the second its a stock recovery clean install to rule out completely any software issues (backup whatever you need first) and disable windows from updating drivers/firmware hope any of this helps if after a clan install the issue persists i would probably point to the display itself and contact acer support directly 
    Yes the display just suddenly drops to 60 when I'm using 144 and only way to get it back is by rebooting, its the worst when it happens mid game.

i did the battery reset, ill keep you posted and thanks for the help.
  • AZZIZ
    Update: turns out its a driver issue, rolled back and fixed for now hopefully nvidia can fix it soon!
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

AZZIZ said:
    I have a very weird and annoying problem, my laptop display drops refresh from 144 to 60, and when I go to the Nvidia control panel its says its on 144 and when I try to set it to 60 the screen just blacks out and I have to wait for it to come back on (as of the refresh rate not supported)

The problem is so annoying that it made me reinstall windows and its still here, reinstalling drivers with DDU also didn't help.

Helios 500 PH517-51

I have the same laptop and the exact same issue. What driver did you revert back to? It's driving me nuts.  I'll miss the fps cap feature but I would rather have my 144hz back. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Emodz roll back to any driver 3/6+ months old 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• AZZIZ
    Emodz said:
    AZZIZ said:

Helios 500 PH517-51

I have the same laptop and the exact same issue. What driver did you revert back to? It's driving me nuts.  I'll miss the fps cap feature but I would rather have my 144hz back. 
    I'm on 441.20
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

Where can I read up on this being a known driver issue too? I've searched everywhere and your post is the only place I've ever seen it mentioned. I was beginning to think my laptop was defective.
  • AZZIZ
    Emodz said:
    Where can I read up on this being a known driver issue too? I've searched everywhere and your post is the only place I've ever seen it mentioned. I was beginning to think my laptop was defective.
    same here friend, Sadly looks like its a helios 500 only issue?? anyway I've reported the issue to nvidia hopefully they can fix it.
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

• AZZIZ
    Emodz said:
    Best of luck it did for me but didn't do that much of testing as I got a new monitor anyway. but please keep me posted.
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    AZZIZ said:
    Emodz said:
    Using those older drivers the problem went away. After several days of testing the issues never returned on the older drivers.  So there's definitely something up with the drivers that came out in 2020
  • AZZIZ
    Emodz said:
    AZZIZ said:
    Emodz said:
    Yea sadly hopefully nvidia will look into it..
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

Tried again with newest 442.59 drivers. Issue still present.  At this point this laptop does not work on any nvidia drivers released in 2020.
  • AZZIZ
    Emodz said:
    Tried again with newest 442.59 drivers. Issue still present.  At this point this laptop does not work on any nvidia drivers released in 2020.
    Sadly I don't think Nvidia are aware of this issue yet, I think its a Helios 500 thing only and have no idea when its going to be fixed...
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

yeah. I also found I don't even have to reboot to get the 144 back I just have to close the laptop lid and open again which I guess turns the monitor off and back on and it'll go back from 60hz to 144 temporarily until it does it again.  I wonder if the new drivers (any nvidia drivers since the implemeted frame capping) is messing with this laptops gsync even when set to off.. I have no idea but closing the lid which I guess puts it into sleep also will fix the issue until it randomly does it again.  Not ideal but better than full reboot.
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

And just a note this issue does NOT happen on ANY nvidia driver 441.41 and prior.
  • AZZIZ
    Emodz said:
    And just a note this issue does NOT happen on ANY nvidia driver 441.41 and prior.
    That is so weird..
    I've contacted an Nvidia represintive and linked him this post hopefully I will be hearning from him/her very soon.
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

Hey Azziz I thought you might want to know they finally are aware of this issue, I noticed in the latest driver notes:
    Windows 10 Only [Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]
    Now its listed as still an outstanding issue but at least we know they know about it and can probably expect a fix finally soon.

• AZZIZ
    Emodz said:

Great news!!
  • Emodz

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    AZZIZ said:
    Emodz said:

Great news!!

just a heads up the 452.06 driver seems to be working for me,
This discussion has been closed.