Nitro VN7-571G Nvidia Graphics card not detected or shown in Device Manager. Nvidia GPU replaceable?

Foxxx2k
Foxxx2k Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Dear Acer Community,

So since December 2019 my Nvidia Graphics card (Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M) is not being recognized or shown in the Device Manager. I've tried reinstalling Drivers etc. and I still have the same problem. I even spoke to Nvidia themselves and I still couldn't solve the problem.

I was therefore wondering: Can the graphics card be replaced (if it is faulty)? Or is it fused to the motherboard? If it is fused to the motherboard I believe that only changing the entire motherboard as well would solve the problem, correct?

Could someone confirm this please? I appreciate any help in this regard.

Kind regards,

Foxxx2k

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    To answer that question we need your exact model number please

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Sorry my apologies. I forgot it and was just going to add it

The exact model is the Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro VN7-571G-72JY . Is this all the information you need?
  • andylb
    Unfortunately you cannot replace that GPU it is soldered and I have just answered your question about the external GPU which is also a no go. I know this sounds simple but try putting your laptop to sleep and then reawaken it

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Also try this from a fellow user

Hello all!
    I am creating this post as a guide, for those who are experiencing issues with the Nvidia graphic card, like:
    1. Graphic card is not detected by windows
    2. constantly game crash
    I have made a lot of research on the web related to this because I had a lot of problems with my BRAND new laptop. And yes all the Acer predator Triton 500 laptops have this defect... but there is a solution without using the warranty hehe don't you worry!

There is a momentarily fix when the graphic card (Nvidia) is not detected. You need to rest the battery, using the small pinhole on the back of the laptop... But this will not fix the issue, it only will fix the windows, and the graphic card will be detected.. but this is a pain in the *****, because every time you have a crash, you need to do that. But during my research, I tested different guides or fixes and there is only one solution for this issue and you will be happy and play a lot of games without any issue, here are the steps:

1. First, you need to reinstall windows... Yes clear all the settings and data
    2. Then you need to update the BIOS, with the lasted update, try with all: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    3. After the BIOS update, you need to stop the windows updates... sorry pal but if you want to play games without any issue, you need to do it. Here is a simple guide: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
    4. You need to add the following registry entry:
    Open registry editor.
    Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers"
    Make new entry called REG_QWORD (64-bit)
    Edit that entry, type TdrDelay, and put value to 8 (hexadecimal)

And finally, you need to limit your FPS under the Nvidia control panel:
    1. Right-click on the desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel from the context menu. It may take a moment to open.
    2. Go to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
    • Stay in the first tab (Global Settings) and locate the Max Frame Rate option under Settings.
    • Set to 120 FPS

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Thank you for all the information but I have some questions regarding the information from the other user:

1.) Can/Should the windows updates be reactivated after having done all the steps or must the windows updates be permanently be deactivated? If so this seems to be a major security concern, not being able to update the windows system no?

2.) I just installed an SSD into my laptop 5 months ago were I had to reinstall Windows (to run it from the SSD etc.) . So I'm not a fan of having to do so again in such a short time :(

3.) Under registry editor, do I also include the stuff in () when typing it into the registry? (e.g. Hexidecimal)

4.) The BIOS Update: I should take the BIOS software that is given by Acer support, eventhough the driver dates are old (since the model is also an older one as well) correct?
  • andylb
    edited March 2020
    On 1 and 2 you don't need to reinstall Windows he was taking a Fire Brigade approach
    On 3 yes include the (Hexadecimal)
    On 4 your BIOS should be v 1.17 and yes only from Acer https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5636?b=1
    Did you try the Sleep/Hibernate trick?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    yes I have put the computer to sleep or hibernate and it still has the same issue. I am glad to hear that I do not have to reinstall windows :) (hopefully)

so basically I need to

1.) update BIOS or check that it is the right version

2.) edit the registry then restart the pc and then

3.) install the nvidia drivers and then limit the fps

correct?
  • andylb
    You have got it mate

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Ok thank you I will try it and get back to you, if it worked etc. appreciate all the advice!

Regards,

Foxxx2k
  • andylb
    A wing and a prayer mate

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Ok I'm busy downloading BIOS 1.17. Do I have to disable the Windows 10 updates? (temporarily or permanently) before editing the registry?
  • andylb
    Temporarily for now

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Okay so sadly I didn't get very far. My BIOS version is version 1.14 and according to the BIOS update from the acer website it would update it to v1.17 . However upon executing the .exe file it says that the installer version and current version are the same (1.14), eventhough the Acer website says that that driver will update to 1.17 ... so now what? (see pictures below)

• andylb
    Go ahead and do the registry editing

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    edited March 2020
    followed by installing the Nvidia Geforce Experience etc and do the other steps right? Do I need to restart after registry editing or can I do the Geforce experience installation immediately after?

currently was doing the registry editing and created the new entry REG_QWORD (64-bit)

but then I don't know how to do the next step. I can change the hexidecimal to 8 but I don't know where to change or add the TdrDelay

• andylb
    edited March 2020
    Change the hexadcimal to 8 then press enter then just type TdrDelay in the next command line then press enter, after regedit reboot and do the geforce 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Sorry I feel so dumb. After changing the value to 8 Hexidecimal, I can't type TdrDelay

• andylb
    TdrDelay in the value name then press ok. I'm not at home in front of a computer so it's hard for me to help with this bit

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    No problem. If you want to, you can answer when you are back at a PC.

I renamed the registry to TdrDelay and then restarted the pc. just need to do some back ups before doing the other steps and I will let you know of the progress / outcome of this. The graphics card has been recognized which is already an improvement.
  • andylb
    Fantastic, I'll be back home around 1000 hrs PDT

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★