Resetting Windows10 on Swift 1 (SF114-32) after bios 1.11 update

eek
eek Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently got my hands on a new to me Swift 1 and upgraded the bios from 1.01 to 1.11. I then attempted to reset Windows 10 but it boots into a black screen after installing the OS. A search reveals that the likely cause is an outdated video driver and the solution is to boot into safe mode and manually install a new video driver.

The problem is that booting into safe mode doesn't allow me to get though the setup portion of the windows installation. It gives errors that I can skip until it gets to the EULA, which errors like the rest but doesn't allow me to skip.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Best Answer

• eek

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have solved the issue..

Just to let you all know since you are likely to see this issue again now that bios v1.11 is incompatible with the reset image.. the fix is to use the MS media creation tool to make a usb thumbdrive installation disc.  Note that it does not work with SD cards, and simply downloading the .iso and trying to use rufus is a major PITA that I never got to properly work despite the recommended fixes I found online. Spend the 5 bucks on a thumbdrive if you don't already have one that is at least 8G.

Thanks for the attempt, GAMING6698

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,076 Pathfinder
    eek said:
    I recently got my hands on a new to me Swift 1 and upgraded the bios from 1.01 to 1.11. I then attempted to reset Windows 10 but it boots into a black screen after installing the OS. A search reveals that the likely cause is an outdated video driver and the solution is to boot into safe mode and manually install a new video driver.

The problem is that booting into safe mode doesn't allow me to get though the setup portion of the windows installation. It gives errors that I can skip until it gets to the EULA, which errors like the rest but doesn't allow me to skip.

Which error you are getting while click on setup?
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • eek

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    eek said:

I get oobekeyboard, ooberegion, and oobeeula errors. I can skip all but the EULA error.
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,076 Pathfinder
    eek said:
    eek said:

I get oobekeyboard, ooberegion, and oobeeula errors. I can skip all but the EULA error.
    I not understand send image
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • eek

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have solved the issue..

Just to let you all know since you are likely to see this issue again now that bios v1.11 is incompatible with the reset image.. the fix is to use the MS media creation tool to make a usb thumbdrive installation disc.  Note that it does not work with SD cards, and simply downloading the .iso and trying to use rufus is a major PITA that I never got to properly work despite the recommended fixes I found online. Spend the 5 bucks on a thumbdrive if you don't already have one that is at least 8G.

Thanks for the attempt, GAMING6698
  • MrAOK
    MrAOK Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the exact same issue. I will get a flash drive and try this method
  • eek

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    MrAOK said:
    I forgot to post the final step in getting around this issue..

After the initial windows setup (without an internet connection), using another computer, I d/led a copy of the intel uhd 605 driver to an sd card and manually installed it once I got the laptop to boot to a desktop. After that, you can allow windows to update.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126788/Intel-UHD-Graphics-605
  • MrAOK
    thanks so much. I'm waiting for my flash drives to arrive from Amazon (The ones I have at the place I'm staying during the pandemic aren't big enough). And of course the Acer was to replace the chromebook, which means I have to create a windows boot disk on a chromebook, which amazingly I've figured out how to do. Anyway all arrives today so hopefully with your tip on the intel driver I will be up and running shortly
  • jastu23
    jastu23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same exact issue here.  Have tried reinstalling windows, and things were fine until the windows updates installed.  Then a blank screen again.  Hoping now that I'm able to re-install and then downgrade to 1.09 (actually I started with 1.07 but sounds like 1.09 works).  Fingers crossed.  Acer, any thoughts or timeline for new BIOS?  Thanks.
  • jastu23
    jastu23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    eek said:
    MrAOK said:
    I forgot to post the final step in getting around this issue..

After the initial windows setup (without an internet connection), using another computer, I d/led a copy of the intel uhd 605 driver to an sd card and manually installed it once I got the laptop to boot to a desktop. After that, you can allow windows to update.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126788/Intel-UHD-Graphics-605
    Somehow I overlooked your tip on installing the video driver before Windows Update could do it.  This technique worked well for me. Thanks again!
  • MrAOK
    edited May 2020
    Acer has now posted bios 1.12, which says it "supports new onboard memory." That can be read a number of ways. One is that it supports more RAM memory (the original limit was 256GB). Another is that it adds support for other kinds of memory besides SATA. Anyone know what it does?
  • mellaby
    mellaby Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

I experienced these same problems installing win 10 1909. The latest vga driver is for 1909 only. I downloaded win 10 2004 and I could not get the display adapters to work. I think it's time for acer to fix this problem or no one will be able to update.
  • luige2020
    luige2020 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2020
    Hola

He resuelto el problema con este modelo SF114-32 instalando el siguiente driver actualizándolo desde el administrador de dispositivos https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29674/a08/igfx_win10_100.8336.zip y con la computadora conectada via HDMI a una pantalla externa para facilitar el manejo del equipo.

Espero les sea de utilidad.

Hello

I solved the problem with this SF114-32 model by installing the following driver by updating it from the device manager https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29674/a08/igfx_win10_100.8336.zip and with the computer connected via HDMI to an external display for easy operation of the computer.

I hope you'll find it useful.
  • andrut77
    andrut77 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello luige2020

I'm supprised that you was able to do this, since note for this driver says, that this can only be installed by running executable file and not from device manager. I done this different way, but I can confirm that this driver work fine with Windows 10 v2004.
  • mellaby
    mellaby Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

I just installed this latest driver and it worked. I had been using Microsoft's generic driver with v2004. I'm going to try doing a complete clean install and see if it will work without it going to the black screen. I don't know where luige2020 found that driver. I went back to Acer's drivers site and this driver was not there.