Can't change SATA mode to AHCI in order to install Ubuntu for dual boot - Aspire A515-54G

Paul96
Paul96 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hi! I recently purchased an Aspire A515-54G, which came with Windows preinstalled. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS from a live stick but when I attempt to do this, Ubuntu cannot detect the 100GB empty partition I have prepared on the SSD for it, it can only see the USB stick that it's on. Gparted only shows the stick too. Consequently, I can't install Ubuntu onto the SSD.

I have completed the precautions found in most tutorials on this (deactivating secure boot and such). Searching this forum so far seems to indicate that I need to switch my SATA mode, which is listed as RST with Optane, to AHCI. Unfortunately I have no such option, the bios displays this SATA mode in the Information tab but I can not change it there, nor in any other tab. 

Do I need to reinstall Windows? This would not be a problem, I don't have any important files on the laptop yet. What do I need to do to be able to get my Ubuntu installed? 

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

Paul96 

Click here to view technical support blog, which might help you in switching SATA to AHCI mode. Please ensure that you are clear in proceeding with the instructions mentioned in the article.

NOTE: For caution...If done wrongly, it may create unwanted changes. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Paul96 said:
    Hi! I recently purchased an Aspire A515-54G, which came with Windows preinstalled. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS from a live stick but when I attempt to do this, Ubuntu cannot detect the 100GB empty partition I have prepared on the SSD for it, it can only see the USB stick that it's on. Gparted only shows the stick too. Consequently, I can't install Ubuntu onto the SSD.

I have completed the precautions found in most tutorials on this (deactivating secure boot and such). Searching this forum so far seems to indicate that I need to switch my SATA mode, which is listed as RST with Optane, to AHCI. Unfortunately I have no such option, the bios displays this SATA mode in the Information tab but I can not change it there, nor in any other tab. 

Do I need to reinstall Windows? This would not be a problem, I don't have any important files on the laptop yet. What do I need to do to be able to get my Ubuntu installed? 
    You can create a USB recovery drive with Acer Care Center, before you change your SATA mode to AHCI. 

In order to get your SATA Mode switched to AHCI, you have to update your BIOS to the latest.  
    After you update your BIOS, if you go in to the BIOS settings, you can press Control+S on your keyboard, and it will reveal a hidden SATA Mode menu. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Paul96
    Paul96 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Jordan B, thanks, that's basically it, though I should mention that I had to tap Ctrl + S several times on the Main tab of the BIOS before the SATA mode option appeared. 
  • gggirlgeek
    gggirlgeek Member Posts: 3 New User
    That's the old method. Here's the method so that Windows 10 still boots.

1. Click the Start Button and type msconfig to open System Configuration
    2. Go to the Boot tab.
    3. Check the box that says Safe Boot (minimal)
    4. Hit OK and Restart the computer. Enter UEFI/BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during the ACER screen after power on.
    5. Go to the Advanced tab.
    6. Press Ctrl+s (If your model already shows the SATA options skip this.) You should now see the Sata Mode setting.
    7. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either RAID or Optane.
    8. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode. Safe Mode clears the Raid/Optane driver so Windows will autodetect the new AHCI disk on reboot.
    9. Type msconfig in Start Menu once more and disable the check box next to Safe Boot. Select OK and Reboot.
    10. Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.
    If you still get a Blue Screen error start the process over: Bios>>Raid-mode>>Reboot normally >> >> >> Msconfig (Safe Boot setting)>>Boot to Bios F2>>Ctrl+S>>AHCI mode>>Safemode (remove Safe Boot setting)>>Reboot.

• RAAONE
    RAAONE Member Posts: 3 New User
    That's the old method. Here's the method so that Windows 10 still boots.

1. Click the Start Button and type msconfig to open System Configuration
    2. Go to the Boot tab.
    3. Check the box that says Safe Boot (minimal)
    4. Hit OK and Restart the computer. Enter UEFI/BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during the ACER screen after power on.
    5. Go to the Advanced tab.
    6. Press Ctrl+s (If your model already shows the SATA options skip this.) You should now see the Sata Mode setting.
    7. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either RAID or Optane.
    8. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode. Safe Mode clears the Raid/Optane driver so Windows will autodetect the new AHCI disk on reboot.
    9. Type msconfig in Start Menu once more and disable the check box next to Safe Boot. Select OK and Reboot.
    10. Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.
    If you still get a Blue Screen error start the process over: Bios>>Raid-mode>>Reboot normally >> >> >> Msconfig (Safe Boot setting)>>Boot to Bios F2>>Ctrl+S>>AHCI mode>>Safemode (remove Safe Boot setting)>>Reboot.

I am following these steps but my BIOS does not have the advanced option. Can you help me with that? I don't see any option to change the SATA mode. I have tried hitting Ctrl + s while in Main and that didn't work either

• IamJain
    IamJain Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2021
    Paul96 said:

I have same laptop and similar problem, except I have dual boot in which I am unable to open either windows or ubuntu due to changed settings of sata mode which I am also unable to access in information menu of BIOS. If anyone knows about it, please do help.
  • hwmpunk
    hwmpunk Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

you need to hit Ctrl + s several times for it to appear but it will appear eventually. I think it's in the main tab

This discussion has been closed.