I inadvertently stuck a USB-C adapter into the USB. Now the Chromebook will not start

GOliver1509
GOliver1509 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I plugged a USB C adapter into the USB slot.    The screen went immediately black and I can't restart the Chromebook.    Looks like I shorted the motherboard.
Any ideas on a solution or is the Chromebook dead?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Circuit breaker, fuse or BIOS chip corruption. Hard to tell from afar. This port is soldered to the mainboard. I suggest removing the charger. Then opening up the laptop to disconnect the battery pack from the mainboard. Also see if you can find a lithium coin cell on the board and remove it.  Then press and hold the power button for about a minute to try to remove any remaining charge on the mainboard circuits. Let it set this way for a few hours before buttoning back up and trying to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• GOliver1509

Tinkerer

Chromebooks shorted ....?   not starting
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Not a good sign. What model of Chromebook do you have and what type of USB-C adapter are you talking about? A charger?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GOliver1509

Tinkerer

many thanks for the reply.    The Chromebook is an CB3- 532 series model.     The adapter is a simple USB C to USB adapter .   I had the adapater attached to a memory stick to attach that to my Pixelbook GO and forgot to take it off when I plugged it into the ACER.
  • GOliver1509

Tinkerer

The memory stick was a LEEF memory stick which I use on an IPAD.
  • JackE
    If the usbc adapter plug was plugged into the ACER's usbc port, I really don't see how any damage could've been done. With or without the leef stick plugged into the adapter's other end. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GOliver1509

Tinkerer

sorry ... I may have confused the issue.    I plugged the USB C end of the adapter into the USBA socket on the ACER chrome book.   I don't see how this could have such a catastrophic effect on the chromebook either but it instantly went to a power off black screen and is now non responsive.     I just checked the chromebook and I have it plugged into power but I am not seeing a charging light ....could this be a battery issue ?   How can you tell if the battery is charged if the chromebook is dead?..... 
  • JackE
    >>> I plugged the USB C end of the adapter into the USBA socket>>>

Then I'm afraid that means the C plug's external metallic ring shorted and overloaded the A port's internal slider terminals. Was it the A port between the HDMI port  and audio jack? Or the A port on the other side? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GOliver1509

Tinkerer

it was the A Port on the HDMI side.   Would that cause the chromebook to power off and not power on again though?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Circuit breaker, fuse or BIOS chip corruption. Hard to tell from afar. This port is soldered to the mainboard. I suggest removing the charger. Then opening up the laptop to disconnect the battery pack from the mainboard. Also see if you can find a lithium coin cell on the board and remove it.  Then press and hold the power button for about a minute to try to remove any remaining charge on the mainboard circuits. Let it set this way for a few hours before buttoning back up and trying to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GOliver1509

Tinkerer

Much appreciated ... I will try that today and see what happens.
  • JackE
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GOliver1509

Tinkerer

thanks ....no sign of the lithium coin cell though.    I removed the battery and pressed the power key.   I will try reassembling the chromebook tonight.
  • GOliver1509

Tinkerer

ça marche.     that worked.   removed the battery completely and left it unplugged for a few hours.    put it all 
    back together and the chromebook is now taking a charge and starting up.    Many many thanks to everyone for all their help 
  • JackE
    Congrats on your success. Keep that C plug away from this machine!   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BryanB79
    BryanB79 Member Posts: 1 New User

My daughter just did this with her Acer Chromebook 511 the day she got it for school, she was very sad. I thought the unit was dead, and needed service. It's quite a bad design to put both of these connectors right next to one another. Luckily holding the refresh button and tapping the power button, continuing to hold the refresh button until the Chromebook screen turned on, then letting go of the refresh button, fixed it.