Why my TravelMate P614-51T-72R0 fan does not stop ever?

guyos
guyos Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I primarily use Linux as my main OS. I know Acer does not support Linux, but I read that Windows machines have same issue.
So my issue is that fan does not ever stop, even when idle. Idle cpu temp is not high 36-37C. Is it possible to make it work only on load?
It is annoying to constantly hear that noise. 

BIOS Version: V1.01

Answers

• guyos
    edited February 2020
    And I forgot to add that fan spins not fast, with a minimal speed and still is annoying.
  • guyos
    I tell you even more, it's winter now and it is 5C degrees outside. So I brought my laptop outside and cooled it's cpus to 25C. And guess what, fan was still working!
  • guyos
    edited February 2020
    O my God! After updating BIOS from 1.01 to 1.04 the problem disappears! Acer, I love you!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Well, that was quick. You solved it before anyone could answer! Be sure and mark it solved so someone else will find it with a search.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kirchjr
    kirchjr Member Posts: 3 New User
    How do I update my BIOS? I am having the same problem with my fan and it says its on 1.01
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Download the BIOS from the Acer support site (it looks like they are having issues today, try it tomorrow), extract it and then just run the executable from the WIN directory.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.