Just purchased (Aspire A515-54G), can I operate windows 7 PRO on this machine? Dual Boot?

OXIPTF
OXIPTF Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have older software that I need to run that requires WIN 7 PRO 32 bit. Will the hardware work under windows 7? My concern is I need the network card and usb to function. The newer version of the software requires WIN 10 so I need both. I tried using the older version of the software through a virtual machine, it does not work because of the software's network security (industrial control system). 
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Booting native Win7Pro requires an MBR-partitioned disk. Rather than fuss with re-installing Win10 on a single MBR dual-boot disk, you're probably better off installing Win7Pro on a separate MBR SSD (or 2.5 HDD) and leaving Win10 on the GPT drive alone. Then dual boot using two separate drives instead of one. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• OXIPTF

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply Jack. The second disk you are referring to, could that be an external SSD connected through the USB-C port?
  • JackE
    No. Your machine has a 2.5" SSD/HDD internal bay and a m.2 internal SSD slot. Two drives. You're probably booting now from an m.2 card if it's about 256GB, or 2.5" drive if much larger. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OXIPTF

Tinkerer

Surprisingly, I just looked, the laptop does not have a card slot, I wish I would have paid attention when I bought it.
  • JackE
    Check again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OXIPTF

Tinkerer

Your right Jack! Actually, the box the computer shipped with had a bracket and adapter for the second drive. I will be looking into purchasing a second SSD and installing it. First though, I need to investigate the availability of drivers and, finding an up to date ISO for W7PRO. Thanks
  • JackE
    edited February 2020
    You don't need the bracket. It's crowded enough inside without adding more metal. Instead use antistatic foam to immobilize & protect the SSD inside. Google 'archive.org' 'windows 7 pro' 'download' 'iso'.  You could also try the Microsoft site if they haven't buggered it up yet https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home Use DriverBooster or similar freeware device driver tools for hardware that might not play nice with whatever iso you get. 

BTW, I also have older software packages that only run under Win7 & even WinXP/Win98SE. But they run fine on Linuxmint using its WINE overlay. Not on Win10 though. My newer Win10 machines default to Mint. It's easily setup to have nearly the same look, feel and function of MS's last halfway decent OS, Win7.  I rarely use Win10 anymore except to answer questions here on the community. For me, Win10 has been the open window of opportunity to finally break the status quo in PC GUI's. Pun intended. :)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OXIPTF

Tinkerer

I started to look into that as I have very frustrated with Microsoft but, I am forced to stay with them because I work with industrial controls (PLC's), they will only work with Windows 10 and 7. Thanks for the tip on drive booster, I will check that out. I have been warned about the micrsoft official W7 ISO, it is not up to date, some users have speculated that that is intentional. Thanks.
  • JackE
    >>>I work with industrial controls (PLC's), they will only work with Windows 10 and 7.>>>

Not sure. I'm no expert but most controllers are based on the IEC61131-3 programming languages which Linux should be able to handle and used remotely to run machines on controllers with built-in displays via browsers like FireFox. Are these the type of PLC's you work with? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OXIPTF

Tinkerer

No, I work with input-output hardware used to automate machines that are controlled by proprietary software developed by Rockwell, Siemens, Mitsubishi, etc. The security levels are getting very intense now as most of automated machinery is networked leaving it susceptible to attack. Windows is only used in the development environment. Once the logic is written, the program is compiled and downloaded to the hardware. This is the point that the disconnect occurs with windows. I think each manufacturer uses proprietary standards to write and execute the logic on their hardware but, they are held to rather complicated safety standards such as SIL1,2&3.
  • JackE
    >>>I tried using the older version of the software through a virtual machine, it does not work because of the software's network security (industrial control system). >>>

VMWare?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ