Hardware Disabled After Windows Installation - Swift 3 SF314-57G

Newcomer12
Newcomer12 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I just received my Acer Swift 3 SF314-57G laptop yesterday. Turned it on, installed Windows 10 Home and everything worked fine.

However I have bought a Windows 10 Pro license key and wanted to get rid of all the bloatware and Acer software. I setup a bootable Windows 10 USB stick and booted from it for a clean install.

I deleted all the hard drive partitions, and created new partitions for the new Windows install. Here's where the problems began. Once it had completed installing, the touchpad no longer worked and it was unable to detect any wifi networks.

I plugged in a wireless usb mouse which worked fine. Once I got to the desktop, I opened Device Manager only to find that a whole bunch of the hardware components including the network controller, touchpad and most others were not working. Clicking on them shows "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device." [See attached pics]

Even the display adapter has installed a basic driver instead of the Nvidia one. I've never experienced this before having done numerous fresh installations on many other PCs and laptops. Why is all my hardware disabled and the drivers not installed? Due to the wifi card being disabled also I can't download drivers manually either.

Can someone shed some light on what I can possibly do?

Thanks

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    @Newcomer12 once you get the WLAN driver installed as aldo22 suggests, you can download and install the rest from Acer's support site. This is pretty typical with most laptops, the base W10 install doesn't have drivers for a lot of chipsets so you have to install them manually. Best would have been to pull the drivers off Acer's site first, then do the wipe and install followed by the downloaded drivers.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• aldo22
    aldo22 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    You could download the Wireless LAN Driver driver from here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8105?b=1 with a different machine, then install from USB.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    @Newcomer12 once you get the WLAN driver installed as aldo22 suggests, you can download and install the rest from Acer's support site. This is pretty typical with most laptops, the base W10 install doesn't have drivers for a lot of chipsets so you have to install them manually. Best would have been to pull the drivers off Acer's site first, then do the wipe and install followed by the downloaded drivers.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Newcomer12
    Newcomer12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice. I downloaded the network controller driver using my android phone and plugged in a USB drive and transferred the driver to it. Installed it on the laptop and got the wifi working. The rest of the drivers then installed automatically in the background. Thanks again!
  • Sandeip007
    Sandeip007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have been facing the same issue i tried everything every single driver is working fine except the touchpad driver i tried installing it and it was shown that it was successfully installed but it doesn't show in the device manager.  
  • billsey
    @Sandeip007 start a new thread for your issue. Include your model number and a screen shot of Device Manager along with a description of the issue and the steps you've tried so far. You are likely just still missing a driver, but you could also be dealing with a hardware failure of some sort.