How do I get my computer to boot to a different OS on a different drive?

Jeffro
Jeffro Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,  Gonna try this question again cuz I'm not sure I was asking the right thing before.

My Acer boots to windows 10 on the factory HDD (C: drive).  I installed a SSD (additional to the factory HDD), and then copied the entire C: drive (with windows 10) to the new SSD which was E: in windows.

Now how do I boot to the windows on E: ???

I thought it would be a change in the BIOS, but under BOOT, the BIOS doesn't let me choose the new HDD.  Is this a software thing in windows?

Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening Jeffro !

Cloned the system and all partitions?
    Even the recovery and reserved ones?
    If not, the system will not boot.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Hola MaClane, Gracias por su responsa.

Hello MaClane, Thank you for your responsa.

I used a free HDD cloning software.  It appeared to be successful.  But now I think I have to do some command lines to change the boot software.

But I'm not 100% sure.  Can you point me in the right direction on how to change the boot order to a new HDD?

I knew how to do this 20 years ago no problem.  Today...not so much.

Edited the content by converting from Spanish to English
    Acer-Samuel
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    You should check that ALL partitions have been cloned, even the system and recovery reserved ones.
    Otherwise, errors will occur.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!