Acer Aspire Nitro vn7-592g hdd upgrade advice

JamesinEdinburgh
JamesinEdinburgh Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I've run out of space on my acer aspire nitro vn7-592g's Hard Drive because I got a GoPro!

Can anyone advise me whether I can upgrade the 1T HDD to a larger size, maybe 3T and what spec should I look for?

Many thanks

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    I've run out of space on my acer aspire nitro vn7-592g's Hard Drive because I got a GoPro!

Can anyone advise me whether I can upgrade the 1T HDD to a larger size, maybe 3T and what spec should I look for?

Many thanks

James

Your model supports and has been Acer tested up to 2Tb HDD and 250gb SSD but many users have installed 500gb SSD's and above with no problem
    Below link is to Userbenchmark for your exact model and lists the most popular user tested upgrades from a database of over 2000 users
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-VN7-592G/20168

Please click Yes if I answered your question

The screenshot below shows Acer tested HDD's for your model

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓

Many thanks

James

Your model supports and has been Acer tested up to 2Tb HDD and 250gb SSD but many users have installed 500gb SSD's and above with no problem
    Below link is to Userbenchmark for your exact model and lists the most popular user tested upgrades from a database of over 2000 users
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-VN7-592G/20168

Please click Yes if I answered your question

The screenshot below shows Acer tested HDD's for your model

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JamesinEdinburgh
    Thank you very much.

I guess I'll go shopping on Amazon for a 2TB unless people have better ideas?
  • andylb
    You can also add an M2 SATA SSD drive, users have reported success up to 1Tb

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JamesinEdinburgh
    edited January 2020
    andylb said:
    You can also add an M2 SATA SSD drive, users have reported success up to 1Tb
    Thanks @andylb

Can I add an 1TB M2 SATA SSD as a third drive into the laptop or am I limited to replacing the 1TB HDD?

I'm ideally interested in increasing my storage capacity for video files synced to Microsoft Live so would likely get a 2TB HDD for that.

I would be interested in increasing my C: SSD as it is 95% full (128MB) and I've struggled to clean out redundant files.

How much effort is it to swap all the operating files onto a new 1TB C: SSD?

Best wishes
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    Your model will only take 2 drives, one HDD up to 2 Tb and one M2 SATA up to 250 Gb. Those sizes are the sizes Acer tested but as I said users have reported success with 1 Tb M2 SATA drives. You could always use an external SSD as a third drive. As for cloning your drive to an SSD, I will get my colleague @brummyfan2 involved, he is our resident expert on this

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JamesinEdinburgh
    Thanks for your help @andylb

I managed to fit a 2TB HDD after copying my 1TB files onto it first.

I am unable to change the disk title to D: as I got the message "Device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." and my whole system has slowed down significantly. 

I also noticed that the 2TB HDD is FAT32 whereas the other drives are NTFS. Is this causing the error message above and my slow performance?

I couldn't find much info on how to install the new 2T HDD so maybe made a mistake in preparing it?

What do you think?

Best wishes, James
  • andylb
    edited February 2020
    @brummyfan2 and @egydiocoelho

Thanks for your help @andylb

I managed to fit a 2TB HDD after copying my 1TB files onto it first.

I am unable to change the disk title to D: as I got the message "Device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." and my whole system has slowed down significantly. 

I also noticed that the 2TB HDD is FAT32 whereas the other drives are NTFS. Is this causing the error message above and my slow performance?

I couldn't find much info on how to install the new 2T HDD so maybe made a mistake in preparing it?

What do you think?

Best wishes, James

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Hi @JamesinEdinburgh,
    I would suggest you to use a third party tool to migrate the 1TB to 2TB, BTW, copying is not proper way to migrate, so install the 1TB drive, download and install Minitool Partition wizard, then connect the 2TB to the laptop with a SATA to USB cable, format the 2TB HDD give it a drive letter, run Minitool partition wizard and use Migrate feature to transfer everything from 1TB to 2TB HDD, replace 1TB with the 2TB and try booting.
    https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html