Aspire E 15 won’t show small photo preview

Karina93
Karina93 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone,
I got an Acer Aspire E 15 about 2 years ago and a been really slow from the beginning. 
I wanted to take it to a shop to have someone look at it, but moved abroad and didn’t know how it works with the warranty. 
Anyway, I can handle the slow laptop most days but what’s really bothering me is that it doesn’t show a preview of the photos (or PDFs either).
I’d like to go through my photos but I have to open them one by one to be able to see the photo. When I go on the photo with the cursor, it says “Availability: Error” with a red “X” on each and every photo file. 

I’d really like to know what it could be. 
Thanks in advance, I hope someone maybe knows how to fix it!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    If you're using file explorer, simply click on the view tab and change icon setting to medium, large or extra large. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Karina93
    Hi,
    thank you for your answer but that’s not the problem. It’s already on large but it only shows the standard photo icon with the blue mountain. Other photos in the same folder, it randomly shows but they still have the red X and it says availability status: error. 

Any idea ?
    thanks!
  • JackE
    Open File Explore again. Click View tab. Click Options box on the right side of menu. Click View tab in popup box. Uncheck option that says 'always show icons, never thumbnails'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Karina93
    Hi Jack,

Thank you, I just tried it and turn out the box wasn’t checked. I did check it just to know the difference and un-checked it again but it went right back to how it was before. 
    I’m wondering if it might have anything to do with the laptop being suspiciously slow 
  • JackE
    In reviewing your screenshot, some thumbnails are indeed visible as expected. The difference between these thumbnails and bluemt icons seems to be entirely due to errors in the way the gopro downloads were taken/done and/or in the gopro's photo format. Thumbnails should show up with JPG photo format. But not usually with gopro GPR or RAW format. Do you recall any differences in how the photos were taken or downloaded with the encircled thumbnails and the icons? If not, I think you need to re-do the downloads or take new photos for a photo that only shows the icon and a photo that shows the thumbnail to see if you can discover the difference between the two downloads. I'd bet the difference is in the format the photos were saved in the gopro.  https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/View-GPR-Thumbnails/td-p/256638

As for slow performance,  this may be due to any non-Microsoft virus scanners like McAfee, Norton, AVG, Malwarebytes, etc running in the background. They should be uninstalled from ControlPanel programs, not just disabled. Most users only need Windows Defender and Microsoft Malicous Software Removal tool which are regularly and automatically updated by Microsoft.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Karina93
    Hi Jack,

so sorry, I was on vacation and left my laptop at home. I double checked again and it’s not online the photos taken with the GoPro. The weird thing is, once I delete a photo and go to the recycle bin, every photo has a photo thumbnail. Ill attach more photos below.
    And about the performance: I’ll take a look what kind of apps are on the computer and delete those I don’t need or even know 😅

Thanks a bunch!
  • JackE
    I think you'd probably be better off just saving or converting the photos to JPG format. As I previously noted, some formats aren't handled predictably by Windows. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ