Chromebook Spin 15

brucekrymow
brucekrymow Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Acer Chromebook Spin 15 CP315-1H-P1K8 keeps shutting the open browser windows down and logging the user out right in the middle of use, requiring user to log back in and start over. It does this sporadically and happens multiple times during a use session.
  1. How do we get it to stop this?
  2. How do we contact Acer Support since there is no link or chat or email on the support page?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Any chance the touchscreen is 'helping' with the shutdown? Sometimes finger pressure at the edges can cause clicks more toward the center.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • momerath
    momerath Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same thing is happening to me. I just unboxed it last night. It logs out or shuts down randomly (it seems) even when i am not near it (only stepping away few seconds). I thought I might be "helping" these shutdowns too but that isn't the case. Disabled all extensions. Logged in as Guest. Problem persists.
  • billsey
    There is a setting for how long to wait before shutting down. Try changing that and see if it affects the symptoms. If it has no effect then it's likely a hardware issue and worth connecting with Acer support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RayH1
    RayH1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I DO NOT recommend purchasing the Acer Chromebook Spin 15.  This model has a known issue of shutting down and then rebooting randomly.  This problem cannot be fixed using the Powerwash ChromeOS feature.  The model that I have exhibited this symptom immediately after purchase.  I called Acer and they told me that I have to PAY FOR SHIPPING back to them for diagnosis and they will pay for shipping the laptop back to me after repair (even though it is under their warranty period).  I am dubious that the laptop will be repaired since it seems to be a known issue and maybe hardware related.    When you call Acer refer to this POST to complain.  
  • RayH1
    RayH1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    UPDATE -- Sadly my Acer Chromebook Spin 15 was returned to me after repair with the same random shutdown and rebooting issue.  I paid to ship the computer for repair but when it was returned. It had the same issue.  The repair note mentioned that a new OS was reloaded.  That's ridiculous since it is a Chromebook and I already updated the OS.  Don't waist your time with this Acer Chromebook.  
  • 13iron
    13iron Member Posts: 1 New User
    sad! i luv the specs of this Chromebook Spin 15 - CP315-1H-P1K8... but reading this and how repair under warranty costs u $ i think i gotta look elsewhere,
    plus there are soooo many refurbished ones on the market and not just this model... makes u wonder

• Liseliz
    Liseliz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought my Spin 15 at Best Buy last summer and just looked up my warranty to find out that it expired in December of 2019.  Gotta love that!
    I was looking because my battery quit charging.  None of the tricks for draining the trickle worked (holding down the power button for 20 seconds, or holding the refresh plus the power for 10 seconds).  So I guess it's possible that the battery is dead after one year and a boat load of recharges.
  • billsey
    @Liseliz you probably ought to start a new thread for your question, so you can mark it as solved when it's fixed. It sounds like you have more than one thing going on. First is why the warranty is running out earlier than it should (I believe these all come with 1 year unless it's a refurb). Second is the charging/battery issue (we'll have to pin down which it is). Make sure you put the full model number into your thread, it makes it a lot easier to get accurate replies. :)