acer chromebook 13 charging problem

nevinjoinery
nevinjoinery Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

hi i have just bought a acer chrome book which hasnt got any warranty left. my chromebook is pretty much brand new the condition is amazing but my chromebook wont charge. now i have researched the problem and it seems like there is a common fault with this model so has there been some kind of recall on these machines as it seems like it is happening to alot of people?

thanks 

mike 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Nope, no recall on them. Remember that when you see a 'lot of people' complaining about something it likely just means that most people don't have anything to complain about and so they stay quiet. Smiley Happy

The most common charging problem seems to be a poor connection between the charger and the computer. Check to make sure the center post of the socket on your Chromebook hasn't been pushed in. Verify (if you can) that the charger worked fine on another system. Last step would be to check out the internal connection, it's not unknown on laptops for the charging board to be disconnected from the motherboard. If none of those help you might have a battery issue. You mention it's a new unit, but out of warranty, is there any chance it's been sitting with a discharged battery for a significant period of time? The batteries in these things really don't like being discharged past a threshhold...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • samredman
    samredman Member Posts: 5 New User

Those are good tips.  But I found something else which solved a problem I was experiencing on charging my Acer Chromeboook 15 inch laptop.  

I was seeing the charging lights on (tiny blue and orange simultaneously) when I had the charger plugged in, but it simply wasn't charging... stayed the same level after even an overnight charge.  Working under the theory that I probably had too many apps running, I tried completely shutting it down (first pressing the little circular arrow refresh top row key and the top row key with the lock symbol to turn it off).  

Then I closed the unit and reopened it to turn it on again.  Then without signing in,  I clicked the on screen shut down button (down at the bottom of the screen).  Then I closed the lid and reopened it again.  But, again without signing in (and that is most important), connected the charger.  I found that I can now recharge my chromebook fully in a little over one hour. Now nothing seems to be draining the battery while I am charging.

• Yodo
    Yodo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a New Acer Chromebook 15 and when I shut it down the battery indicator light on the right side stays on the one on the left goes off? is this normal for the one light to stay on?  Thank You!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    @Yodo you should start a new thread for yours, it's a different model and the problem is likely to be very different from the one the original poster here had. Make sure you include the full model number, "Chromebook 15" could be any of dozens of different models. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    When you say your Acer "won't charge" do you mean the battery is dead and it doesn't take a charge? My Acer will occasionally stop charging when it's in the 90% range Chrome OS says it's "calculating" and it doesn't increase it's charge. If I unplug the cable, take the charge down to 50% or less, and then plug it back in it takes a full charge (100% Battery Full) and all is good again.