Triton 500 pt515-51 BSOD during gaming and graphics card getting disconnected

Tombik_Doner
Tombik_Doner Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have the rtx2080 equipped triton 500 pt515-51.

After a few minutes while playing games (mostly rainbow six siege) (it has happened once with gta5 and csgo) the game crashes and the computer stops detecting the dedicated graphics card. It shows up in device manager as a hidden device that is unplugged. Everything switches to the igpu and the dedicated card doesnt come back until i restart a few times. Sometimes when the game crashes there is also a BSOD saying VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR.

There is no undervolt or anything on the laptop and i have been using it for a couple of months now so it is a fairly clean install. I upgraded to the newest 1.12 bios and tried uninstalling/reinstalling different nvidia drivers. I also ran an sfc scan and it found a few things and fixed them alas the problem continues. I am also running the laptop in hybrid mode to save battery. I tried switching to dedicated once to see if it fixes the problem but it just makes it so that there is a solid black screen after the gpu gets disconnected.

This problem has been happening for a few weeks now but i cant send my laptop for service for a couple of weeks becuase i need it. I am also hoping to not reinstall windows since there are hard to install cad programs on it.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    Firstly NEVER game in any other mode than High Performance, you have a Gaming Laptop that is designed to game in that manner, the CPU and GPU are severely limited in Hybrid Mode so set your Power Plan to High Performance when on AC. Balanced/Hybrid for when on Battery
    Secondly NEVER game on battery alone, your laptop is not designed to game on the battery alone, the most powerful battery cannot supply enough power to run the CPU and GPU at the needed potential to game successfully. You must charge your battery to 100% BEFORE gaming and then KEEP the laptop plugged in while gaming. This is safe for the battery and is how it is designed to be used.

Next download but DO NOT INSTALL the latest Nvidia drivers for your GPU from here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us#

Then download and install DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and boot into Safe Mode then run DDU to do a clean uninstall of any Nvidia Drivers

Next reboot into Normal Mode and install the Nvidia Drivers that you downloaded previously, then please report back

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

By hybrid mode i meant the MSHybrid mode in the bios allowing the laptop the switch to the igpu when the dgpu isnt being used not the balanced power plan. I did do the ddu driver uninstall and the new driver install. I played for half an hour and no problems so far but sometimes it takes longer for the crash to happen so will report back after further testing.
  • andylb
    By hybrid mode i meant the MSHybrid mode in the bios allowing the laptop the switch to the igpu when the dgpu isnt being used not the balanced power plan. I did do the ddu driver uninstall and the new driver install. I played for half an hour and no problems so far but sometimes it takes longer for the crash to happen so will report back after further testing.

Please keep us informed and hopefully it's fixed, if it is the please click YES 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Why shouldn't he install official nvidia drivers? I'm doing so and don't have any issues.
  • vorob
    Tombik_Doner what cpu do you have and what's the manufacturer date on the bottom?
  • Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

vorob said:
    Why shouldn't he install official nvidia drivers? I'm doing so and don't have any issues.
    those are the official drivers from the nvidia website

vorob said:
    Tombik_Doner what cpu do you have and what's the manufacturer date on the bottom?
    i7-8750h 2019/02
  • andylb
    edited February 2020
    vorob said:

@vorob With respect please reread my post, I told him to download the Nvidia drivers but not to install them until after he had run DDU. Look below

Next download but DO NOT INSTALL the latest Nvidia drivers for your GPU from here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us#

Then download and install DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and boot into Safe Mode then run DDU to do a clean uninstall of any Nvidia Drivers

Next reboot into Normal Mode and install the Nvidia Drivers that you downloaded previously, then please report back

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    Firstly NEVER game in any other mode than High Performance, you have a Gaming Laptop that is designed to game in that manner, the CPU and GPU are severely limited in Hybrid Mode so set your Power Plan to High Performance when on AC. Balanced/Hybrid for when on Battery
    Secondly NEVER game on battery alone, your laptop is not designed to game on the battery alone, the most powerful battery cannot supply enough power to run the CPU and GPU at the needed potential to game successfully. You must charge your battery to 100% BEFORE gaming and then KEEP the laptop plugged in while gaming. This is safe for the battery and is how it is designed to be used.

Sadly it didn't fix the problem i am still getting BSOD's while playing r6 siege.
  • andylb
    edited February 2020
    Now follow the steps in my Nvidia Control Center walkthrough and incidentally the Nvidia card is a “Discrete” GPU  your internal GPU is “Dedicated”

Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in your Windows Power plan select High Performance when on AC and in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab

Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

@Chucho do i have to delete my data to reinstall windows?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Tombik_Doner try to setup the games manually via nvcp check below

Also i advise if nothing else works to perform a stock recovery clean install check here but make sure you backup whatever you need first and slelec delete everything not the keep my files because that wont work to rule out any software issues if the issue persists after a clean install i would point to hardware fault at this point i would send it back to get it diagnosed 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• vorob
    I wonder why you all give him advice on how to run an app from dGPU when he already runs it form dGPU, not the Intel. 
  • Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

Chucho said:
    I tried the steps @Chucho took. I didn't need to reinstall windows. I just stopped win updates, edited the registery and limited the fps (at 145) and have been testing it for a few days so far everything seems to be fine. I really don't have any idea what causes the problem and how the reg edit and the fps cap prevents it but it seems to work. So thank you Chucho. 
  • Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

Well i spoke too soon it crashed again.
  • emonhaze
    emonhaze Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Have you found a solution? I having the same issues for a week now and i am really frustrated with triton 500. looking like a waste of money.
  • Tombik_Doner

Tinkerer

emonhaze said:
    Have you found a solution? I having the same issues for a week now and i am really frustrated with triton 500. looking like a waste of money.
    It ran with no problems after i capped the fps at 120 again. No need for windows reset.
  • emonhaze

Tinkerer

@Tombik_Doner can you tell me what version of windows you are running? I am running 1909 and i think that might be the problem.
  • emonhaze

Tinkerer

@Tombik_Doner can you tell me what version of windows you are running? I am running 1909 and i think that might be the problem.
  • Tarik
    Tarik Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having the exact same problem where the computer crashes and the screen goes black. The sound and keyboard lights are still on, I can hear my friends talking from discord but the screen goes completely unresponsive. It takes a few minutes before I can restart. The exact same problem is also happening on Ubuntu 18.04 with different NVIDIA driver so I'm guessing this is a problem related to the motherboard. Not the NVIDIA driver or Windows. This is really disappointing that we pay a lot of money and can't even play simple games.