Acer V5 531 doesn`t work with third-pattry HDD

Paul10ru
Paul10ru Member Posts: 28

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi
I have an Acer V5 531 laptop and here installed a native normal hdd disk Hitachi 500 Gb. I wanted to replace it with an ssd disk to speed up the system but I didn’t succeed. The problem is that i was tried 5 five different drives but not one was successful. I was tried A-Data , Crucial and KIngston SSD and more it was WD and Samsung normal HDD. I could not clone the system to any of them, or install again. The system is Win10 but in stock it was Win8. It was update ti Win 10. Moreover, I could not even boot from the system recovery disk, which was created by the OS itself. As soon as a physical disk replacement occurs, the laptop starts to behave incorrectly. It either freezes on the screen with the ACER logo or all the same, the download starts, but at some point it again hangs with a black screen and nothing happens. Moreover, when changing a disk, there are noticeable problems with entering the bios and freezing in it. What could be the problem? Official support is nothing but giving a link to the addresses of service centers does not help or does not want to help. Maybe there is a binding in the bios to HDD.

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    whenever I replace an drive, i generally "load setup defaults" in the bios, then enable f12 boot option and do whatever else i might need before trying to install to the new drive.
  • Paul10ru

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    whenever I replace an drive, i generally "load setup defaults" in the bios, then enable f12 boot option and do whatever else i might need before trying to install to the new drive.

It was tried to take that but is not work.
  • Paul10ru

Tinkerer

it is surprising that it can hang for a long time with a black screen, and then unexpectedly enter the BIOS or offer a boot menu. what happens when the screen is black is a mystery
  • Does hdd appear in the bios information tab?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Paul10ru

Tinkerer

This is also a lottery.  sometimes it is visible, sometimes it disappears.  Blackout helps to and remove the battery. I was tryin at this laptop meni of hard drives:
    500gb wd blue hdd
    320gb samsung
    128gb Kingston ssd hyperx
    128gb crucial bx500
    60gb smartbuy
    120gb kingspec
    This last one has the best result. I can start to clean instslation of win 10. But it was unsuccessful.
    I was making surface test - all good.
    Chkdsk - all good
    But i can't clone them. Then i start cloning its fail. 
    it is noteworthy that when using mini tool partition it makes the error 19 and 24. Before this then syatem was reboot i ses the messages that memory locked at xxxxxx and yyyyyy. After that cloning starting but later interrupted.
    in this case, any of the installed disks after trying to install or clone has a completely worn mbr.
  • Paul10ru

Tinkerer

contacting support did not give a result.  acer says that bring the laptop to the service at the same kungston advised to contact the laptop manufacturer.  vicious circle.  Of course, it’s foolish to carry such an old apparatus for repair  :p
  • Paul10ru

Tinkerer

I just can’t find an explanation for the phenomenon that a regular disk gets up without problems and works and everyone else is rejected.  never encountered this.
  • Can you send me some screenshots of the bios settings? I would like to check if the ssds appear in the bios information tab.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • I would like to know if these ssds "A-Data, Crucial and KIngston SSD and more was WD and Samsung HDD" appear at least in the information tab?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Paul10ru

Tinkerer

Sometimes i saw them. But its very very long time need that laptop comes to bios. Then the own hdd is instaled there will be immediately here then i push f2.
  • Gawain
    you've probably tried this but i see your boot mode is legacy and not uefi.    10 in legacy uses mbr, but in uefi uses gpt so I'm guessing the new disks come supplied with the latter partition type.   If you can change the boot mode to uefi, switch off, change the drive over to the new one then boot from the 10 usb stick (create it if need be) and see if that helps.  If you haven't got a uefi choice in the bios (might need to add a supervisor password if greyed out), then connect the new drive externally, and create an mbr partition table on it first before trying to install to it.  Might be worth a shot.
  • OK! I think the problem is in converting the ssd to gpt, to work in uefi mode.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Paul10ru

Tinkerer

all right, but you did not understand the essence of the problem. The fact is that I can’t even normally enter the BIOS if I replace the hard drive. It’s not about the markings on it. Even if it is not marked up, I can’t get into the BIOS. A very long black screen. And maybe in 10 minutes I'm there. But often the hard drive is not visible in the BIOS. If you run the laptop completely without a disk - everything is fine. There are no problems with the original disc either. The problem is with the physical replacement of the disk.
  • Gawain
    Paul10ru said:
    all right, but you did not understand the essence of the problem. The fact is that I can’t even normally enter the BIOS if I replace the hard drive. It’s not about the markings on it. Even if it is not marked up, I can’t get into the BIOS. A very long black screen. And maybe in 10 minutes I'm there. But often the hard drive is not visible in the BIOS. If you run the laptop completely without a disk - everything is fine. There are no problems with the original disc either. The problem is with the physical replacement of the disk.
    hi, I did understand that, hence i suggested changing to uefi (then saving and exiting) before physically changing the drive, but I'm now guessing you've already tried that.  That's a real head scratcher then.
  • OK! I understood now, that when connecting the ssd, the screen goes black and you can't access the bios. However, it would be interesting to know if you are connecting the 2.5 "ssd and connecting directly to the hdd sata port 3, or if you are using any caddy adapter to use the ssd? Also, what is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Paul10ru

Tinkerer

the laptop for some reason cannot initialize the disk. I just started installing OS 10 from a flash drive and everything worked fine until the moment then need toI chose the installation location. If I plug the hard drive, I will only see a black screen. I can not understand what a laptop needs? What is the problem.?
    Why new disk is invisible or makes crash on them? Its very strange.
    I can choose in bios uefi, but this will not solve the disk problem. It still freezes the system. Why is it not possible to enter the BIOS? Can I somehow enable the display of information or postcodes? It is not possible to find a solution if it is not known at what stage and for what reason this is happening. Typically, the initialization stages of the system are visible: processor, memory, hard drive, hardware ...
  • Can you inform the version of the bios and check if upgrading to a newer version solves the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Paul10ru

Tinkerer

I will find a newer one but i can't to upgrade them because acers bios upsater need good battery. My laptop battery is dead and bios upgrade software can't start. I have the error. So if you know another way how to do it, i will be happy.
  • Models v5-531 and v5-571 have the same bios file. See the third response from this link: https://superuser.com/questions/1092562/how-to-upgrade-uefi-bios-without-battery-in-acer-laptop

egydiocoelho Trailblazer