Acer predator G3-605 still good?

Pcbreaker
Pcbreaker Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi guys,

My 5 year old acer predator g3-605 psu has made a pop sound and spark last week. I am afraid to power on after the pop sound. 

Wanna ask if I should just buy a psu or buy new pc.

My specs are
Gpu sapphire rx570b8gb
Intel Core i7 (4th Gen) 4770
16gb ram
1tb hdd
256gb sdd

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It's possible though it could as easily be static damage caused during the GPU install. Were you using a grounded wrist strap while in there? Static damage usually takes a while to manifest, the traces that were damaged take a while to finish eroding to the point where they burn.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Tough call, a popping sound is typically not a good sign. Have you got a VOM to test with? You could isolate the supply, jumper it on and test the output voltages at least. You are likely safer waiting to know that they are all looking good before trying to power up the MB with that supply. I wouldn't just replace it out of hand though, since it could have been something else that let the magic electrical smoke out (you know, that stuff that makes the chips look black). :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pcbreaker

Tinkerer

So I just turn on the supply and test after removing the cables to all the parts? 

I am afraid it will it pop again
  • Pcbreaker

Tinkerer

Psu fan not turning, Tested with paper clips and no voltage. 
  • billsey
    Most likely then it's the PSU that has failed. The problem is, what caused it to fail? If you have something shorted in the wrong way on a device connected to the supply it might cause a new one to fail as well... I'm guessing you don't have an old ATX supply to test with? You could bring up the drives separately from the MB at least.
  • Pcbreaker

Tinkerer

I replaced the gpu card last year October. Could it be that? 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    It's possible though it could as easily be static damage caused during the GPU install. Were you using a grounded wrist strap while in there? Static damage usually takes a while to manifest, the traces that were damaged take a while to finish eroding to the point where they burn.
  • Pcbreaker

Tinkerer

Nope I didn't use a wrist strap. Didn't know this could cause damage😢
  • billsey
    Yeah, it usually doesn't, or causes so little damage that the final failure doesn't seem to be related. What happens is the tiny static shocks (usually not even noticeable) are at a very high voltage and very low current. As the electricity travels through the chip that's being 'zapped' it heats up the internal traces enough to sublimate some of the metal. That makes the trace thinner than it's designed to be and after that each time it's used it generates a little more heat than normal, which removes a tiny bit more of the metal. As it gets thinner and thinner the electricity going through makes it hotter and hotter, removing more and more metal. Eventually it pops and then that portion of the chip no longer works. How often you get the mini-zaps from static is a function of the environments you are working in, the dryness of the air around you and whether you have some other way to bleed of the static. A wrist strap connected to a ground is the easiest way to bleed off the static before it can zap anything.