M.2 Slot Confusion Helios 500 ( PH517-61-ROGX) Ryzen

Answers

• LennartF
    LennartF Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Ok I was using the right slot as I said the drive is working in the slot but sometimes when starting or restarting the laptop it gets stuck on the predator logo type and I have to restart serval times then until it works and I have noticed that even windows 10 USB don't always see the drive almost like it sometimes has been unplugged but Is not.
    Here is a link on eBay to the same Toshiba drive I am talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/c/23031191876

• psychfilms
    psychfilms Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Here's the bottom line, Slot 2 (left slot) takes the M.2 NVME (PCI-e) SSD like the one you purchased on eBay.   You need to clone the OS onto your SSD that you purchased on eBay for SLOT 2.  SLOT 2 is the slot for your computer's operating system.  SLOT 1 (right slot), will not work with the SSD you purchased from eBay.  Here is an example of the M.2 SATA SSD that will work in SLOT 1  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E1T0BW/dp/B07822Z77M/ref=sr_1_4

• LennartF
    Ok when I said the said the right slot I meant the one that works with nvme so on the left side then.
    But problem still exists it works perfectly fine with the original Sk Hynix drive 
    Why the does the other Toshiba only show up now and then I don't understand. When it happens not even windows 10 USB or win or finding it. When it shows up hwinfo show good health on it. So is it a faulty drive or acers motherboard that isn't compatible with all nvme drives on the left side. Is it maybe an better option to use sata the original Sk Hynix 256 GB is a sata and it seems pretty fast but I would prefer a bigger drive.
  • LennartF
    well here is the Toshiba drive if someone knows anything about this model.
  • I would try to update the bios to version 1.09 and update the ssd firmware on another computer, to see if it solves the problem.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LennartF
    I have already done that also tried with updating to latest firmware on the SSD drive still same *****.
  • LennartF
    Kind of odd but I found the firmware for the SSD on dells site nothing on Toshiba own site 
  • You can download the toshiba ssd tool here: https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/en-amer/download/ssd-utility
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LennartF
    Yes I have been trying that one but for some reason it doesn't support this drive seems it is for the newer ocz drives they have.
  • The only possibility that I think can solve the problem, would be to change the sata mode ahci or to rst with optane.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    How do I change that ?
  • LennartF
    I can see it det to achi in bios but it's greyed out so can someone please tell me how to change it to rst ?
  • What happens when you press ctrl + s?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    Nothing what I can see I did try it inside bios and when the computer start or ism doing it wrong ?
  • It would be interesting if you sent some screenshots of the bios. I think that only the ph517-51 model allows the change in sata mode.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    Ok I have the ryzen version
  • LennartF
    Maybe it's a better option to go for a sata m.2 SSD it's Still way faster than a mechanical HDD. Little bit annoying it's a nice laptop but the battery life is a joke wondering if it possible to add some extended battery. 
  • Maybe it's a problem related to the drivers of the sata ahci controller and the windows nvme controller? Have you tried to uninstall these drivers in safe boot mode, so as not to corrupt windows?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    Ok but if that theory is true how come then when it happens the Toshiba drive is not visible even from the windows 10 USB stick as said before it's not Always happening but about every third time I start the laptop it's happening if I restart with crtl alt del it usually works after one or two tries but it's not normal. And no it's never happens with the sk Hynix drive so the slot seems like it's working only with the Toshiba drive 
  • psychfilms
    psychfilms Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Maybe the problem is with the M.2 PCI-e SSD you purchased on eBay and not the computer BIOS or motherboard.