Aspire E5-575 53VG requires multiple taps on power button

2»

Answers

• Sterces
    Sterces Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    JackE said:
    OK. Assuming the mainboards are good, then it's still the KB power buttons or their ribbon connectors that are suspect. Jack E/NJ 
    This is what I was thinking. Its the biggest mystery I've ever had to deal with. And I've spent so much money trying to fix it as is. Insane.
    Do you think theres any chance that it needs a new monitor?
  • Sterces
    Hi @Sterces
    This is the button @JackE has mentioned:

Oh my goodness. I do have this button... what do I do with it?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    When you open the service hatch cover, you will find a section similar to one in the snip which goes in to the slot, check whether it makes proper contact with the switch, inspect for any damage on the rubber, if you find any damage, you can apply a layer of electrical tape or something similar.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Good catch @brummyfan2! I couldn't see it in the photo even after zooming in.

Sterces     As noted earlier, the safety interlock button is supposed to cut all power to the mainboard when the top and bottom covers are separated. They can cause intermittent problems if the cover is misaligned with or not pressing hard enough against the switch to keep it in the on position. You can tape a spacer on top of the button or the corresponding spot inside cover that supposed to press against it so it presses harder to keep the switch on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sterces
    When you open the service hatch cover, you will find a section similar to one in the snip which goes in to the slot, check whether it makes proper contact with the switch, inspect for any damage on the rubber, if you find any damage, you can apply a layer of electrical tape or something similar.

JackE said:
    Good catch @brummyfan2! I couldn't see it in the photo even after zooming in.

Sterces     As noted earlier, the safety interlock button is supposed to cut all power to the mainboard when the top and bottom covers are separated. They can cause intermittent problems if the cover is misaligned with or not pressing hard enough against the switch to keep it in the on position. You can tape a spacer on top of the button or the corresponding spot inside cover that supposed to press against it so it presses harder to keep the switch on. Jack E/NJ

I'm going to try this. Thank you brummyfan. Thank you Jack E. Ill update soon as I cant find my electrical tape at this time.
  • Sterces
    No luck. My hopes were so high
  • JackE
    Then the KB power buttons or their mainboard connections are still suspect. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Sterces
    JackE said:
    Then the KB power buttons or their mainboard connections are still suspect. Jack E/NJ 

Would you recommend anything to clean the ribbon cable input? And the ribbon cable.

Ill post back the results
  • JackE
    The best way to clean it, indeed any large array connector, is to repeatedly re-seat it a dozen or so times. No alcohol, no solvents, no nothing. Just the physical abrasion of re-seating. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ