Unit does not turn on SF514-51-520A

System
System Member Posts: 4,513 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: Spin SP513-52N-3478 Black screen.

Comments

• SpiritBear
    SpiritBear Member Posts: 1 New User
    Nilen06 said:
    Hi i have a acer spin 5 I have switched it on and the keyboard light is on but the display is black..... Can someone help me!!!! I have to return my project in 2 days and my laptop is having a black screen!!

Hello, I have the exact same issue happening to me:
    from the moment I turn off my laptop, or it goes to sleep mode, I can't turn it on again! Keyboard backlight turns on, Fans turn on, but no screen backlight. The screen remains off.
    I tried plugging it to an external monitor, it does not work (monitor detects signal but nothing is displayed). Nothing displayed even when attempting to boot into BIOS (tried with an external USB keyboard as well). 1 time out of 50 tries (yep!) it start up boots with the display. When this happened, the keyboard did not respond. I tried to download and start an update of the BIOS with the on screen keyboard but as soon as the PC restarted, the screen stopped working and it has not displayed since. I reset the battery using the pin on the bottom of the PC but there was no change. All tests were done with and without the power adaptor plugged in.

My laptop is a Acer Swift 5: SF514-51-520A

It's obviously super frustrating, I bought it in February 2017 so it's passed warranty. I had looked at by an IT guy, and upon doing all of these tests he believes the issue would be the motherboard, which is expensive and tricky to purchase, and complicated to install, and maybe not worth it on a 3 year old laptop even thought I paid 845€ for it. (I'm French, bought my laptop in France).
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>I tried plugging it to an external monitor, it does not work (monitor detects signal but nothing is displayed)>>> 1 time out of 50 tries (yep!) it start up boots with the display.>>>

If the Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 toggle keys have no affect on either the LCD or external monitor, and it only displays 1 out of 50 times, then it does indeed sound like the CPUs integrated GPU solder contacts are intermittently failing. I'd probably try to reflow the CPU's backside BGA with a heat gun to try to salvage the mainboard. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ