Power / Motherboard issue Predator g3-710

PixieHacKleric
PixieHacKleric Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
My Predator g3-710 gaming desktop stopped working overnight the other day.  Attempt to turn on and there was no power - the power supply, which had been quite audible before, makes no sign of starting up.  I checked the power supply by disconnecting it and then jumping it from ground / on and it started up when I plugged it in.  The on switch appears to be working when I check it with a multimeter and press the button.  I'm gathering that this is thus a motherboard issue.  I'had hoped that the PC, purchased only a few years ago (but now out of warranty) could last a bit longer. Curious if there is anything else I should check or what my next steps might be?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Boy, there's not a lot that can go wrong with the MB that will affect that power up circuit. Can you see any scorch marks around that area?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PixieHacKleric
    PixieHacKleric Member Posts: 2 New User
    No scorch marks around the area.  Pins look good from the power switch cable.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    I'd probably go next to pulling the MB so I could inspect the back as well. Maybe a cold solder joint finally failed... If that's no it then maybe it's time to upgrade, either by swapping in a newer MB or by getting a new machine. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.