Cloning my Recovery Drive is it possible?

Jerminator
Jerminator Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please tell us the size of your destination drive, are you trying to install a M.2 SSD and want to migrate to it?
  • Jerminator

Tinkerer

I have only 256gb just want to Migrate the OEM Recovery Partition to my New SSD M.2
  • brummyfan2
    edited March 2020
    Hi,
    I think you are trying to transfer only the OS to  the new SSD and leave  Data in the HDD, if that's the case, you can do it with Minitool Partition wizard,
    download and install the program, install the new SSD, run Minitool Partition wizard, select Migrate OS to SSD in the left pane, then choose the option B in Step2, the program will migrate necessary partitions to the new drive, I hope the tutorial will be helpful, please backup any important data to an external HDD as a precaution.
    https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/migrate-windows-10.html
  • Jerminator

Tinkerer

@brummyfan2
    Is it possible that I will clone my OEM Recovery Partition into my New SSD M.2 and make it as also as OEM Recovery Partition so that I will not use anymore my HDD as my recovery tool, then will use my M.2 SSD as my recovery and OS Drive.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    No, it won't work, you have to let Minitool program to decide which partitions needed to migrate the OS, that's why I have recommended to backup all your important files to an external drive, so that you left with only the OS files in your 1TB drive, after completing the migration, you can install those files back in the 1TB HDD, OEM Recovery partition only will not install the OS. 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020

The simplest way to clone in your situation is to get your existing and new 256SSD M.2 and install a new fresh copy of Win-10 (make sure the 930.40 HDD or 1TB HDD is taken out of your laptop when you are doing the Win-10 clean install) then, reinstall the old 930.40 or 1TB HDD and delete all of the old Win-10 OP files from the old 1TB HDD, then use the "Extend Volume" feature in "Disk Manager" for the old 930.40 or 1TB HDD to increase the size of the old 1TB HDD to max capacity that Disk Manager will allow, that is what I would do, as it’s the simplest and quickest way, forget about "Cloning my Recovery Drive". 

brummyfan2 has suggested and backup important files to an external drive, so can format the 1TB HDD and then you can install your important files back onto the 1TB HDD so that you have the full capacity of that 1TB HDD.