Nitro 5 an515-54 - Problem with second SSD

Fastszla
Fastszla Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello!
My laptop is Nitro 5 an515-54
I have bought XPG SX8200 Pro (M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4) and i have a problem with installing system on it.
I created bootable pendrive with win10 image, but... I have to set AHCI sata mode, then system is installing properly, the problem is when i inserting older (stock) ssd into a slot, then system can't boot. I think it's problem with this AHCI

Any sugesstions what to do? I have pendrive 64gb and external hdd right now. Im thinking about cloning system from older ssd and installing it on newer but... Third day of trying to install bloody system.

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK, we will try something else, leave the original SSD(Kingston) boot with it, don't install the ADATA SSD yet, install Minitool Partition wizard free, connect the external HDD with a USB to SATA connector, run Minitool Partition wizard, use migrate feature to transfer everything from SSD to HDD, then remove the original SSD, install the ADATA SSD, if you can change the boot order to make external HDD as your first boot device in BIOS, change the boot order or if you can install the HDD in the bay, install and boot with it, again use Migrate feature to transfer from HDD to ADATA SSD.
    It may look a long process but once you start doing it, it becomes very easy.
    https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html
    Or
    If you are familiar with Macrium reflect, you can backup the Kingston SSD to the external HDD, then swap the SSD and recover the image on to the new SSD.
    I think cloning has it's shortcomings and better to avoid it.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Could you please tell us whether the stock M.2 SSD is a NVMe SSD or a SATA SSD, one of the slot is for NVMe SSD and the other for NVMe/SATA SSD, try swapping the SSDs and see whether it helps.
  • Fastszla

Tinkerer

I couldn't find info about it, it's KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3512GJ1.
    HardInfo 8 says only interface SCSI.
    I can see difference in pins, this stock ssd is on this slot for sata/nvme
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    OK, we will try something else, leave the original SSD(Kingston) boot with it, don't install the ADATA SSD yet, install Minitool Partition wizard free, connect the external HDD with a USB to SATA connector, run Minitool Partition wizard, use migrate feature to transfer everything from SSD to HDD, then remove the original SSD, install the ADATA SSD, if you can change the boot order to make external HDD as your first boot device in BIOS, change the boot order or if you can install the HDD in the bay, install and boot with it, again use Migrate feature to transfer from HDD to ADATA SSD.
    It may look a long process but once you start doing it, it becomes very easy.
    https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html
    Or
    If you are familiar with Macrium reflect, you can backup the Kingston SSD to the external HDD, then swap the SSD and recover the image on to the new SSD.
    I think cloning has it's shortcomings and better to avoid it.
  • Fastszla

Tinkerer

Hi again,
    I transfered data from kingston ssd to external hdd, but i had to use usb disk, i cant install this one on the bay.
    Unfortunately it can't boot. It's strange. Earlier i created bootable usb stick with windows 10 and i had to change from rst with optane to ahci when installing it. When i saw it is working i was happy, but... When i inserted new ssd it simply didnt boot.
    Ok, thanks anyways. I will go with this to my friend, i bet he will do this.

Have a nice day!
  • brummyfan2
    Yes it's strange why it's not booting, I would suggest you to buy single sided M.2 SSDs in future, you are not alone having problem  with ADATA XPG SX8200 SSD, anyway good luck with the help from your friend.
  • Fastszla

Tinkerer

Ok, another day, another try ;)
    I found connection cord and installed this hdd into the bay, so i will try again with Your instructions, we will see what will happen. Wish me luck!
  • It would be interesting if both ssds appear in the bios info tab.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Fastszla

Tinkerer

Ok, so... I did it with @brummyfan2 instructions and it can't boot even from HDD. I don't know why.
    And yes, in RST premium with octane sata mode both disks are visible in info tab, on ahci mode only HDD is visible but as i said it won't start.
    Thank you for answers!
  • OK! But have you managed to install windows on ssd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Fastszla

Tinkerer

Hey!
    I managed to copy the system from Kingston SSD to HDD and system is booting. Now i have another problem. Earlier i was trying to install w10 image from pendrive i AHCI mode to ADATA SSD. Now, in bios i can see ADATA SSD, and windows boot launcher from it but i can't see this drive on system level, so i decided to download gparted and try from USB but also i cant see this drive. Im looking for solution now, any suggestions what to do?
    One step and it will be fine... Oh my... ;)
  • Does ssd appear in the intel rapid storage program?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Fastszla

Tinkerer

No, i can't see it there. I don't know what happened. Maybe something wrong after installing w10 in ahci mode?
  • Ssd appears in device manager and when you type these commands?
    diskpart
    list disk

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Fastszla

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    I found out that i have installed system on this adata ssd on ahci mode. When i change to ahci it's booting normally, i just have to change it/format i dont know. GParted can't see this drive (booted from USB). I think it's simple thing, i just can't change this ahci mode or format it using GParted...

@egydiocoelho No, it's not visible.
  • Fastszla

Tinkerer

Ok, it worked! :) Im now on ADATA drive, but! When im trying to change sata mode to rst with optane in safe mode there is no reaction to keyboards, only mouse works, but nothing can be done. I will leave in ahci for now. Do You know what is causing this problem? Thanks for help!
  • When you selected rst with optane mode, were there any drivers with device manager issues?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Fastszla

Tinkerer

I don't know what to tell You, because i was stuck at login screen. Now i cant access anymore to safe mode in rst mode. Strange.
    I did a benchmark and read parameter was about 900-1000MB/s, when mmanufacturer says 3500MB/s. Yes, i know. It will be lower, but i think it's too slow
  • Is the keyboard working now? Did you run the test with the crystal disk mark?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Fastszla

Tinkerer

Now it's ok, as i said im on adata drive, but on ahci sata mode. Now i just need to change it to rts premium with optane.
    Benchmark was from some partitioning software, maybe this Minitool partition wizard, i cant remember. I will try this crystal