Upgrading M.2 SSD & RAM (A515-51G-51C2)

Vlada
Vlada Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
This is my first time asking Acer community.
I would like to ask some questions about M.2 and RAM. I hope someone would help me (@egydiocoelho).

I own Acer A515-51G-51C2 and I was planning to upgrade it with Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe 500GB. Has anyone had any experience with it? If that could not work, I would like to try Samsung 970 EVO PLUS V-NAND NVMe 250GB, but someone in similar topic has experienced issue with it. Is it possible that only problem is it's capacity (@Darksaber77's is 500 GB) or maybe some software issue? If that could not work, I would like to try Kingston KC2000 250GB NVMe PCIe. What do you recommend?

I have some questions about RAM. I think maximal capacity for upgrading my model is 20 GB (4 built in + 16 additional). Is that correct? As I checked, working f(requency) is 2133 MHz, but I am having trouble to find module on that specific f in my country. So I could pick some on higher f (2400 or 2666 MHz) and it will be reduced to 2133 MHz. Which is fine. But, my question is: is it sure that it will work at all? Also, latency of my RAM is CL14. So, if I pick some with higher latency, additional RAM will work slower (on same f). But, again, is it going to work at all? For example, if I pick some with CL19 (assuming it will work) is it possible that I or laptop notice difference in performace, compared to built in module CL14 (with the naked eye) and have trouble with that? The difference is about 2,3 ns, if I calculated it right.

P.S. I tried to contact Acer support, but they did not respond to my e-mails.
        Also, English is not my native language, so I hope you will be able to understand me.

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    These are the RAM specs for your model. As you can see you can add 16gb to make 4 x 16 for 20gb total but max supported speed is 2133, yes you can install 2400 but it will run at 2133. CL (CAS) should ideally match but if not it will run at the slower of the two, the higher the CL the slower it is so your CL14 is on the fast side, however mismatched CL will not cause problems. Crucial guarantee compatibility for 2400 for your exact model, see link below
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-a515-51g#MEMORYFilters

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    For your SSD you have one m2 expansion slot available for NVMe PCLe or SATA and as my colleague above says many users have installed 1Tb successfully
    The two SSD's in the table below have been Acer tested but many others will work well and the Kingston 250gb that you are looking at should be fine

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Vlada

Tinkerer

Just to check, is it possible to remove HDD and leave just with with M.2 and install OS on it?
  • andylb
    You have a lot of questions there my friend but why don't you start of by studying the Userbenchmark page for your model. It is a summary of the most popular upgrades for your model taken from over 10,000 users. Also RAM and SSD's are readily available on Amazon so check that out
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A515-51G/61361

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• About ssd, there was a user here in the English community who was able to successfully install a 1tb ssd nvme on model a515-51g. Therefore, it supports capacity larger than 256gb without problems. On ram, post a screenshot using the cpuz program.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Vlada

Tinkerer

andylb, thank you. I will try to find matching modules there.

egydiocoelho, first thank you for familiarizing me with Community and for helping me! Is it going to work if I remove HDD and leave with just M.2 and OS on it? 
    Here is a screenshot of CPU-Z:

• Vlada

Tinkerer

I forgot to add following image:
  • andylb
    These are the RAM specs for your model. As you can see you can add 16gb to make 4 x 16 for 20gb total but max supported speed is 2133, yes you can install 2400 but it will run at 2133. CL (CAS) should ideally match but if not it will run at the slower of the two, the higher the CL the slower it is so your CL14 is on the fast side, however mismatched CL will not cause problems. Crucial guarantee compatibility for 2400 for your exact model, see link below
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-a515-51g#MEMORYFilters

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    For your SSD you have one m2 expansion slot available for NVMe PCLe or SATA and as my colleague above says many users have installed 1Tb successfully
    The two SSD's in the table below have been Acer tested but many others will work well and the Kingston 250gb that you are looking at should be fine

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Vlada

Tinkerer

@andylb, thank you very much!
    Just to clarify, I will try Kingston 500GB first.
    I cannot find that specific RAM (from Crucial's link) in my Country with appropriate conditions, so I will try some different. Thanks to you, now I know what I am looking for.
    When I buy M.2 and RAM, I will post it here, for future users.

• andylb
    Kingston is good for RAM and you can find a lot of RAM on Amazon 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Vlada

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho, first thank you for familiarizing me with Community and for helping me! Is it going to work if I remove HDD and leave with just M.2 and OS on it? 

• Vlada

Tinkerer

• andylb
    But why would you want to remove and discard the HDD when you can just use it for mass storage and use your SSD for your games and demanding programs

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Vlada

Tinkerer

I don't know what happened with my two repeated posts. I didn't even log in earlier tonight. Sorry for that, it is not up to me.
    I can't buy RAM from Amazon. It is not option for me at this time. But, thank you for advice. I already contacted local store I am waiting for their response now.
    Well, I have "trouble" with sound of HDD because I work in complete silence, so I can hear it's "quiet noise". Therefore, I want 500GB SSD, for all work. But I would use HDD as external storage. What is better option for HDD's life, to work as a mass storage inside laptop or as a external drive?
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
     What is better option for HDD's life, to work as a mass storage inside laptop or as a external drive?

I don't think it really matters, the number of revolutions it spins is the factor that affects it's life and it will do the same number inside or outside the laptop and the posts weren't your fault it was an admin hiccup 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• tti246
    tti246 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My computer is Acer A515-51G-57BG.
    Today I upgrade the M2 SSD from Kingston RBUSNS8180S3128GJ to Kingston SA2000M8500G, and it's working.

• great my friend.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)