Triton 500, LCD Overdrive is always enabled after reboot

vorob
vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
So in the latest Acer laptop, we have this really useless ***** function - LCD Overdrive. It adds horrible ghosting, and looks like this: 
https://pp.userapi.com/c855728/v855728276/aa9ab/8bDVdnvoSJk.jpg

I can disable it in Predator Sense, but the problem is that after reboot it is enabled back despite settings is OFF. So I have to enable and disable it every time. I already reinstalled predator sense, didn't help. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable' Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Disable it again from Sense. Then shutdown. Then turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vorob
    I'll try, thx. But that's definitely should be fixed by Acer. Not by disabling windows features. 
  • Bludshed
    Bludshed Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm kind of having a similar issue to the OP but for me, each time I boot, LCD Overdrive is marked as enabled in Predator Sense but not actually enabled (I'm getting the same ghosting and corona effects as the OP). Each time I boot I have to disable and then re-enable LCD Overdrive in PSense to get it working. Trying JackE's suggestion actually fixed an audio issue I never knew I had (audio was always very quiet on this laptop.. I thought it was just poor speakers.. but not any more! Thank you!!) but the issue with LCD OD is still present. Is this maybe a bug with PSense? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but to no avail.
  • vorob
    No luck for me either. Even a new version of predator sense didn't fix it. Same story, LCD Overdrive marked as disabled but it is enabled in reality and to get rid of it I have to enable/disable. For DX12 Control it doesn't help, I still have ghosting. I have to enable/disable and then reboot my pc. 
  • JackE
    >>>Is this maybe a bug with PSense?>>>

A definite maybe.  :)    Keep checking for updates on the ACER download page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7905?b=1
    Except for BIOS firmware updates, they're all fairly safe and reversible to test. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aceerfan
    aceerfan Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    on my helios 300 I kept mine on. can't really see the differences. should i switch it off?
    Tips 1: For gaming laptop make sure before you shut down especially after a heavy gaming session to let it cool down for at least 10min before you switch it off!

• Krandor
    Krandor Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    PredatorSense auto updated when I turned on my computer this morning and it looks like this issue has been fixed.  No ghosting effect following a reboot
  • JackE
    The new app was released. Gotta keep checking for those updates cuz they don't always auto install https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7905?b=1#_ga=2.59429099.71374788.1573214200-799593463.1573214200

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vorob
    Can't say it's new. It's from august...
  • Krandor

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    The version on the website (3.00.3130) is still old, but after the auto-update it's showing on my Triton as 3.0.3136
  • vorob
    Autoupdate where? Where is this auto-update button?)
  • Krandor

Tinkerer

I think the update is processed thru the Microsoft Store, tho it doesn't show up on the storefront/app installed.  User doesn't have any control over it as far as I can tell, when the auto-Overdrive thing started happening I reinstalled the older version to stop the ghosting issue, but it would automatically update itself every time I had internet again.
  • vorob
    Yep, currently i've got 3.00.3130. But windows update doesn't show anything. Wonder how i can force it...
  • JackE
    Krandor>>>The version on the website (3.00.3130) is still old, but after the auto-update it's showing on my Triton as 3.0.3136>>>

It's unlikely the Microsoft store would've auto loaded a predator sense update. And I wouldn't call an 8/23 release an old release. Please post a screenshot of  the 3.00.3136 install tag. In any case, all the latest apps should be installed due to possible interdependencies including the 10/07 QA release. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Krandor

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Please post a screenshot of  the 3.00.3136 install tag

Here

• Hardwire
    Hardwire Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any update on this issue? This is the only thread I have found after searching the web for the corona issue on the Triton 500.

Does not matter if I turn Overdrive on or off. I always have the corona effect while in games. I do not know if turning it on or off normally fixes it or if it is bugged, some say turning it off fixes it. Are there any other tips for getting rid of the motion blur/corona effect in games?

1080p @ 144Hz
    Gsync On
    Vsync Off
  • vorob
    New version is on the site, but it didn't fix the overdrive function Predator Sense_Acer_3.00.3136_W10x64_A.zip
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Does LCD Overdrive cause ghosting in GSync or Optimus mode?

Can other models be affected?
  • Agent0013
    Agent0013 Member Posts: 3 New User
    belik said:
    Does LCD Overdrive cause ghosting in GSync or Optimus mode?

Can other models be affected?
    LCD Overdrive is the thing that causes ghosting, not depending on mode.

And this is very annoying. It can not be turned off forever, it turns keeping on after every restart. And also, overdrive setting in predator sense is inverted. It is OFF when slider is ON, and vice versa. So every time, when I turn on my laptop, I have to go to predator sense, wait for it to load (come on, I have NVME SSD and 8 cores, and this s*** loads for like 10 seconds) and then toggle LCD overdrive off and on to be able to look on normal screen without ghosting.
    Who anyway uses this overdrive function? With overdrive image quality is so bad, I can not imagine anyone would like to use it if they are asked about it.

I have:
    Predator triton 500 PT515-51
    Latest BIOS ver. 1.13
    Predator sense version 3.00.3136
This discussion has been closed.