How to keep backlit keyboard on in Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-582S?

Starfire
Starfire Member Posts: 3 New User
Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-582S laptop purchased today. The backlit keyboard turns off after 30 seconds, even when power cord is plugged in. It's super annoying and I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known. Is there a bios update for this model to fix it please?

Answers

• Starfire
    I've discovered there is no current fix for this. I'm returning the laptop tomorrow. What a silly thing, to not give users a choice about the backlight in the keyboard. I'm so disappointed :(
  • VW123
    VW123 Member Posts: 3 New User
    My laptop should have a backlight but its not working at all
  • jimfitter
    jimfitter Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

A BIOS update came and went, without a keyboard update. I keep giving bad reviews where I can, on this model, in various forums. Hopefully, the bad press gives someone the incentive to fix this. It really is frustrating to have to deal with this.
  • partiofone
    partiofone Member Posts: 1 New User
    I agree, this backlit keyboard shutting off is driving me crazy, what's the point in even having one if you have to hit a key to turn it on. If you need to look something up and not use it for 30 seconds you have to do the same thing all over again. Had I known this was an issue I would not have purchased this laptop, it's too late to return it, I have spent longer than 30 days looking for a fix.
  • Zulhelmi96
    Zulhelmi96 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Yeah, many customer complaining about this thing. I really think it is a simple fix for acer for just giving us an bios update that can change the backlight timer. But for now, I think you better return the laptop if it bother you so much. For me, I already accustomed to it by pressing ctrl key for not registering any input
  • Dlehman
    Dlehman Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue and would really like it back... ACER PLEASE RESOLVE- Thank you
  • zoe22jeter
    zoe22jeter Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2020
    5/2/20 same issue. no way to turn off power save mode for keyboard to remain lit. This is the only thing I found making this laptop not a keeper and how disappointing this little issue would have been easily fixed with an override or button on the unit where the option to turn on or off....third option to leave on. sorry guys you guys failed this one. ASUS it is? I expect no one from ACER will even reply.....given the history I see on their support it's not reliable. 
  • jimfitter

Tinkerer

5/2/20 same issue. no way to turn off power save mode for keyboard to remain lit. This is the only thing I found making this laptop not a keeper and how disappointing this little issue would have been easily fixed with an override or button on the unit where the option to turn on or off....third option to leave on. sorry guys you guys failed this one. ASUS it is? I expect no one from ACER will even reply.....given the history I see on their support it's not reliable. 
    You're 100% correct. 2 bios updates for the Aspire A515-54, and they still refuse to correct this mistake.
    I just continue to leave bad reviews for all things Acer, anyplace I can.
  • jahkarta
    jahkarta Member Posts: 1 New User
    Apparently they want people to forget about the whole backlit keyboard thing. I just purchased an Aspire 5 directly from Acer and the F8 key is blank! Like something out of Scrabble. And of course, there's no backlit keyboard. What a joke. Why the hell would I buy a crappy laptop for over $600 without at least 1 cool feature? Oh well.
  • Starfire
    Yes, it's crazy! Such a simple fix. I returned my Acer laptop and now have a great little Lenovo Thinkpad. I can choose what happens to the keyboard backlight. 
  • jimfitter

Tinkerer

By the time I realized that there was no fix forthcoming, it was too late to return it.
    I just continue to leave bad reviews wherever I can.
  • xCONFLiCTiONx
    xCONFLiCTiONx Member Posts: 1 New User
    The setting can be found in the bios. It's very possible that this was just added in recent releases but this thread is a top result in searches and needs a correct answer.
  • jimfitter

Tinkerer

The setting can be found in the bios. It's very possible that this was just added in recent releases but this thread is a top result in searches and needs a correct answer.

I have the latest BIOS. They still have not given my model that option.
    Meanwhile, I continue to leave Acer computer bad reviews, anywhere that I encounter their products.
  • Stoulf
    Stoulf Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently purchased an Aspire 5 515-44G and i believe that this feature is really cool and officiant. Again,, my opinion ;) 
  • POPCAT9090
    POPCAT9090 Member Posts: 3 New User
    There is a fix for it to access the bios you go to settings on windows and search reset and press that and it should say Advanced Setup and reset press advanced. Then it should say reset/ troubleshoot or advanced setup press advanced setup then press UEFI Software. then you should be able to access the BIOS then follow the instructions below of how to use it use those to find Backlight keyboard timeout then use the up and down arrow press at the same time then it should say disable/enable use the arrow up and down at the same time and press disable. then press F10 as in lower the volume and use the same arrow keys and press yes to save changes and go back to windows and you should be able to have a backlit keyboard on without a timeout. Hope this helps :) P.S.  sorry about the grammar
  • POPCAT9090
    The process to access UEFI BIOS Setup by PC settings in Windows 8 is similar to Windows 10. The biggest difference is how to enter Advanced startup. Windows 8/8.1: Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Advanced startup > Restart Now > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart .
  • POPCAT9090
    for windows 10 and up just put reset in settings search bar 

• M3Z47
    M3Z47 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I bought Aspire 5 nearly a week ago and found out this issue about its keyboard light that is troubling others too! Any idea if (optimistically when?) it will be resolved?
  • M3Z47
    M3Z47 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Seems like there is an option during boot options, where the backlight can be toggled to always on! Atleast for my Aspire 5 there is.
  • Hendz
    Hendz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Starfire said:
    I've discovered there is no current fix for this. I'm returning the laptop tomorrow. What a silly thing, to not give users a choice about the backlight in the keyboard. I'm so disappointed :(
     https://youtu.be/Wc7yMIRgP98
    This video worked for me, just follow these steps after watching the whole thing, i know im 3 years late but hopefully its helpful. despite the person saying its for nitro series it worked for my aspire 5. Hope this helps, although, you probably changed laptop by now im guessing