Important: Upgrading may void your warranty Nitro 5

hiesenhuer
hiesenhuer Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited January 2021 in Nitro Gaming
See email below from Acer Philippines

Thank you for sending to us your concern.

Upgrade plan is expected from our valued customers, however, since the unit is under warranty, installation of upgrade parts should only be performed by our authorized services and personnel’s to ensure warranty protection and reseal. A tampered seal that is not perform by unauthorized personnel or company will void the warranty. We may only recommend 3 option for this.

1) Have the upgrade done with our authorized dealers and partners who are selling spare Memory and SSD and make sure to use only recommended brands. Charges will also depend on the said partner

2) Purchase the said parts from authorized dealers and have it installed in our service with labor charge to apply.

3) Have the entire transaction done in our main service office since we can also supply spare memory for upgrade but for a first come, first serve basis.

Please note that upgrade or modification is not part of the warranty coverage that is why charges for labor cost is given as charge.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    This conflicts with other emails from Acer posted on this Forum and may be Philippines specific. Other statements say that memory upgrades etc.. are not covered in the warranty but the warranty is still good providing no damage was incurred performing the upgrade. What is also confusing is that RAM upgrades do not require the breaking of the seal so not voiding the warranty. So this email is confusing 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• hiesenhuer
    edited August 2019
    Yes your right, Acer Philippines is very strict compared to other countries, reason why i'm posting this. But changing the RAM or HDD will require you to break the seal since Acer Nitro 5 (2019 models) doesn't have dedicated cover. It will require to open the whole laptop cover. And Acer covered the screw with the warranty sticker. The sticker is a new material, if you peel it off it will get damaged, unlike old stickers that you can just take out and return.

For upgrading: to avoid voiding the warranty, what I did is referred my laptop to Acer Service center, they guided me where to purchase the RAM and NVME, then for a small fee, they upgraded the laptop, including the transfer of OS from the old HDD to the fast SSD. it only took 1 hour, and the best thing is, I get to keep the 2 year warranty, hassle free.
  • hiesenhuer
    Note: After the service, they covered the screws with new stickers to preserve the warranty.
  • In my opinion, I consider placing a warranty seal as inappropriate today. In many countries, such as Brazil and the United States for example, users themselves can upgrade their own devices as long as they do not damage any parts. Also, there are several videos posted on the internet about how to open the notebook, see:
    https://youtu.be/JiRhIU1l8zA
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kremkremPH
    kremkremPH Member Posts: 1 New User
    im also from PH, may i know how muh did they ask you for the service fee? the one here in SM North is asking me for 450php.
  • Hotwheels
    Hotwheels Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Glad there are no warranty stickers on mine!!

• Tambutsoo
    Tambutsoo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hotwheels said:

no warranty seal mean no warranty at all  :( 
  • Not necessarily @Tambutsoo. In some countries, Acer models do not come with a warranty seal, allowing the user to open the notebook and upgrade.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dinesh9893
    dinesh9893 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Not necessarily @Tambutsoo. In some countries, Acer models do not come with a warranty seal, allowing the user to open the notebook and upgrade.
    You are right. Acer have different different way to handle issue with respect to countries. Like in India most people purchase laptops from Online retailer like Flipkart and Amazon and some comes with warranty sticker and some not. And that doesn't affect Acer to treat them differently because thats not user's fault. for exp a month ago my friend had a laptop keyboard replacement and he didn't had sticker on any screw and repair guy didn't even look for any sticker he just changed the keyboard that's it.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Tambutsoo said:
    Hotwheels said:

no warranty seal mean no warranty at all  :( 

@Tambutsoo NO!!! no warranty seal means you have the warranty and can open the Laptop without voiding the Warranty. The Seal says "Warranty Void if Removed". If you don't have a seal the warranty is still there and you can upgrade your laptop without voiding the warranty =)

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• rudyv101
    rudyv101 Member Posts: 6 New User
    What if you bought the parts yourself? I already bought 2 sticks of RAM before seeing this post.
  • @rudyv101 Here in Brazil and in the United States, laptops are sold without the guarantee seal. Therefore, Brazilian and American users can disassemble the laptop without losing the warranty. Now, it depends on your country's consumer laws.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rudyv101
    rudyv101 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Yeah, I contacted Acer via email yesterday and they said :

"Dear Sir / Madam,

Its ok but please expect installation charges will be applied and also it will not be included on the units warranty."

So I guess it isn't required to buy from authorized dealers. You can just buy them yourself and then go to an acer store and let them upgrade it with your purchased parts.

• Does your laptop have a warranty seal on the lower case?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer